Which cancer patients are more at risk from coronavirus? What can cancer patients do to avoid coronavirus? Istanbul Okan University Hospital Chief Physician, Radiation Oncology Specialist Dr. Lecturer Tayfun Hancılar has announced.
Which Cancer Patients are at More Serious Risk?
Patients with blood malignancies such as non-Hodgkin lymphoma, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, acute myeloid leukemia, acute lymphoblastic leukemia and multiple myeloma, bone marrow transplant patients, all cancer patients under active chemotherapy, immunotherapy and radiotherapy; They are the patients who should be more careful about protection from coronavirus. Considering the effects of the disease on the lungs, our patients with COPD and lung cancer diseases should be more careful.
Is The Risk Continued In Cancer Patients With Completed Treatment?
Of course; The risk of patients whose cancer treatment has been completed and recovered is much lower. However, the effects of chemotherapy and radiotherapy on the immune system can sometimes take longer than expected. Therefore; These patients need to keep their attention at the highest level for 2 more months after treatment.
What Are The Ways To Protect From Coronavirus?
Our patients who continue active chemotherapy, immunotherapy and radiotherapy they should definitely not interrupt their treatment. They should live in accordance with the necessary precautions and continue their treatment regularly. We especially recommend cancer patients under treatment to stay away from indoor spaces as much as possible. It is unnecessary to wear a mask because there is no risk of spreading the virus in the open air, but we recommend that cancer patients who need to be in indoor areas (buses, trains, movie theaters, shopping malls, sports areas, restaurants, etc.) wear a mask that covers the mouth and nose area.
Solutions Containing At Least 60 Percent Alcohol Should Be Used
Naturally, hand contact is inevitable. It is necessary to pay attention not to contact with the face, mouth and nose. It is very important to wash hands frequently with soap for at least 20 seconds or to use solutions or disinfectants containing 60 percent alcohol.
Patients Can Travel Outdoors
We recommend that our patients who receive cancer treatment avoid traveling abroad as much as possible. We recommend that cancer patients who continue their treatments should not be in crowded places and minimize visitor acceptance, considering that coronavirus carriers continue to be contagious during the incubation period, even if they do not have symptoms. The trips that our patients will make in the open air and their contact with fresh air are positive for us, so we recommend them.
How to Eat To Protect From Coronavirus?
Strengthening the immune system is the best measure against coronavirus. Therefore; Nutrition of cancer patients at risk gains importance.
Our Recommendations for Cancer Patients Undergoing Treatment:
- Consume at least 2.5 liters of fluid a day
- Kefir is very useful for the immune system and can be used safely during treatments. If possible, you can drink the kefir you prepare at home in 2 glasses a day.
- You can consume propolis-containing solutions once a day.
- Use a lemon in the water you will consume during the day, it will protect against viruses due to the vitamin C it contains and can also make you drink more water.
- You should definitely include salads with vegetables and greens in your meals.
- Wash fruits and vegetables carefully before using them.
- We do not recommend using it during chemotherapy; You can easily consume fruit juices other than grapefruit and pomegranate juice, provided that they are fresh.
- You can prevent the virus from adhering to the throat and nasal mucosa by using nasal drops containing sea water frequently and by gargling with salty or carbonated water. Thus, the risk of disease can be minimized.
- Wash your hands frequently throughout the day for at least 20 seconds, including your elbows.
- Never smoke and do not be in a smoking environment.
- Although the oral absorption of turmeric and ginger is not high, they are beneficial for the immune system. You can add it to salads or consume it with yogurt.