Tekfur Palace or Porphyrogenitus Palace is one of the relatively unspoiled examples of late Byzantine architecture all over the world. It is located in the Edirnekapı district, within the borders of Fatih district in Istanbul.
The building, which was called Tekfur Palace / Tekir Palace in the Ottoman period, is the only intact part of the Blaherne Palace complex, which was used as the Byzantine Empire Palace between the 11th and 15th centuries.
It was built in the late 13th or early 14th century as part of the Blaherne palace complex. 10.-14. Discussions are ongoing about the building, which is estimated to have been built between the 3st century BC. However, the difference between the wall technique used on the ground floor and the first floor, as well as the fact that the space is divided into 4 and the south wall is divided into XNUMX, suggest that the building was built in two different periods. It is certain that the second of these periods is the Paleologos Dynasty period.
At first glance, the palace was built by the 10th century emperor VII. Although it looks like it was named after Constantine Porphyrogenitus, it was actually Emperor VIII. It is named after Konstantin Palaiologos, son of Michael Palaiologos. "Porphyrogenitus" whose name means "born purple" means that an emperor ruling in the country was born here.
Tekfur is the name given to the Byzantine local ruler. Correspondence means king in Armenian. This palace served as the imperial residence in the last years of the Byzantine Empire. During the Ottoman Empire's conquest of Istanbul in 1453, it suffered great damage due to its proximity to the outer walls.
It existed for a long time as a part of the imperial palace Blahernai, which was used by the Byzantine emperors from the 12th century. It is not known exactly when and by whom the palace was built. The building was called the Palace of Constantine (Palatium Constantini) by Europeans in the 16th century, then the Palace of Porphyrogenetos. Tekfur Palace was among the palaces used by the emperors in the last glorious period of the Byzantine palaces.
The Ottomans did not use the Tekfur Palace as a palace. In the second half of the 15th century, Jewish families from around Thessaloniki were settled in the palace area. The palace, which was partially destroyed in the 16th century, and an old cistern around it were once used to house the sultan's animals. It is seen that the building, which is often referred to as "Tekfur Palace" since the 17th century, is mentioned in detail in travel books. In 1719, a tile workshop was established in the courtyard of the palace, run by the masters of Iznik, by the decision of the Grand Vizier İbrahim Pasha. In 1721, workshops, a furnace and a mill were built by Chief Architect Mehmed Ağa. The tiles produced in these workshops III. It was used in Ahmet Fountain, Kasım Paşa Mosque and Hekimoğlu Ali Paşa Mosque. However, the tile workshop was closed after a short time. In the 19th century, the north of the palace functioned as a glass factory. It is thought that the Şişehane Masjid, which was donated by Adilşah Kadın in 1805, took its name from this factory. In fact, the name of the road surrounding the palace from the east and south sides was called “Şişehane Street”. In the fire that broke out in the Jewish houses here in 1864, important parts of the palace, marble building stones and interior equipment and the balcony in the southeast corner were badly damaged. Meanwhile, the glass factory is still operating in the northern part of the palace courtyard. Due to the remains of the factory, the level of the palace courtyard has risen considerably. In 1955, the location of this factory was changed and Tekfur Palace was connected to the Hagia Sophia Museum Directorate. The courtyard was cleared of rubble by the management of the Hagia Sophia Museum and its old level was revealed.
In 1993, surface research studies to find the Tekfur Palace tile manufacturing furnaces started under the presidency of Filiz Yenişehirlioğlu. The research, which turned into participatory excavations under the supervision of the Ministry of Culture, Museum of Turkish and Islamic Arts, ended in 1995. After the restoration works between 2001-2005, Tekfur Palace was opened to visitors as the Ottoman Tile Museum affiliated to IMM. In the museum, finds such as new remains, tiles, glass and pottery unearthed in the archaeological excavations of Tekfur Palace are exhibited, and there are animations in which pottery making with hologram technology is also included.
Tekfur Palace was built on the inner wall and the outer wall at the north end of the Old Theodosian Wall, between a sharp fortification and a rectangular thick tower built in the Middle Byzantine period (probably the 10th century). The palace has a rectangular plan and a structure with a courtyard. White limestone and brick were used as the building material in the wall of the palace. There are two more floors above the ground floor that opens to the courtyard with columnar arches. It is estimated that the floors are separated from each other by wooden floors. The second floor of the palace can be seen over the walls. Ground and 2nd floors are used by service personnel; If the emperor used this palace, it was thought to be located in the middle floor.
It is thought that the palace had a balcony on the eastern facade facing the city. In Piri Reis's map of Istanbul City, this palace is depicted with its double sloping roof and balcony on the adjacent bastion and the porch protecting it.
Günceleme: 20/12/2022 11:06