📩 04/01/2023 08:55
No matter how old you are, owning a vehicle provides both comfortable transportation and freedom. The biggest disadvantage of your vehicle, which offers the convenience of reaching wherever you want, at any time, is the fuel cost.
The Importance of Fuel Saving
By saving fuel, you can both economically relax and help protect the environment. You can travel longer distances with the amount of fuel you buy; You can minimize the environmentally damaging effects such as noise pollution, exhaust smoke and carbon emissions by saving fuel.
What is Fuel Saving and How To Do It?
The operations performed by motor vehicles to enable them to travel longer distances by using minimum fuel is called fuel saving. Contrary to popular belief, it is quite easy to save fuel. You can save fuel with a few tricks that you will apply while driving and fueling. Here are suggestions for fuel saving;
- Stop driving fast
The easiest way to save fuel is to reduce your speed. The higher the speed of your vehicle, the more your fuel consumption will increase. For example, if you cover a distance of 890 kilometers per hour with 120 kilometers, you will consume almost twice as much fuel. Likewise, driving at very low speed, especially on long roads, can increase fuel consumption. It is an ideal option to keep your fuel consumption in balance at a speed of 2-80 kilometers per hour on the long road.
- Drive your vehicle in high gear.
Be careful to use gears that do not tire the engine. Of course, low gear should be used in vehicle departures and in cases where speed is low. However, you can reduce fuel consumption by using your vehicle in the highest possible gear while moving at a certain speed.
- Avoid sudden braking
You may have to brake suddenly in urban transportation where traffic is heavy. However, sudden braking and sudden maneuvers are the most important reasons for the increase in fuel consumption. In order to keep the fuel consumption at a certain level, you should increase your speed gradually and avoid sudden braking. Careful use of the clutch and brake can reduce fuel consumption by almost 20%.
- Pay attention to the use of air conditioning.
The temperature of the interior of the vehicle is very important for comfort and convenience. Regardless of whether it is cold or hot, the use of air conditioning increases fuel consumption by approximately 3%. When the air conditioner is turned on, the air conditioner uses extra power. The more the speed is increased, the more fuel consumption increases. Therefore, operating the air conditioner at low speed may make more sense in terms of fuel savings.
- Do not idle your vehicle
In situations where you have to wait, you should avoid leaving your vehicle running at idle. While the engine is running, it consumes approximately 1,5 liters of fuel per hour. It may be beneficial in terms of fuel consumption if you turn off the engine of your vehicle while it is in standby and start it again when you are moving.
- Have your vehicle serviced regularly.
Clogged oil and air filters of the vehicle can cause engine wear and increase spark plug consumption. This situation both reduces the efficiency of the vehicle and increases fuel consumption. Having your vehicle serviced regularly can help save fuel.
Fuel Savings in Gasoline Vehicle
- When purchasing gasoline, you should prefer the relatively cold morning hours. In cold weather, gasoline is compressed and does not have steam. You can buy more gas for the same money.
- Buying half a tank of gas instead of filling the tank completely can prevent you from paying for the gas that may remain in the hose.
- Unnecessary weights in the vehicle increase fuel consumption. Get rid of extra items in your luggage such as snow chains, luggage, heavy loads.
- It is very important that the oil is clean in gasoline vehicles. By changing the vehicle oil regularly, you can reduce friction in the engine and consume less gasoline.
- In gasoline-powered vehicles, cold engine increases fuel consumption. Instead of warming your vehicle where it stands, you can drive slowly during the first take-off to warm the engine and reduce fuel consumption.
- By installing cruise control system on your vehicle, you can balance fuel consumption.
- Driving on rough roads can increase gas consumption. You should try to use the smooth roads as possible.
Fuel Savings in Diesel Vehicle
- Insufficient inflation of the tires causes more friction and increases fuel consumption. You should check the air of your tires regularly.
- Bicycle or other load devices added to the vehicle increase the weight and wind resistance of the vehicle and increase fuel consumption.
- The first thing to do to save fuel in diesel vehicles is to wait for the vehicle to warm up when it starts. If you move the vehicle when the engine is warmer, you will use less fuel.
- Diesel vehicles are not serial like gasoline vehicles. Especially in sudden starts and stops or when the foot is pulled quickly from the gas increases fuel consumption.