Some toothaches come and go, while some are long-lasting. Toothache can be severe or aching, depending on the source of the pain. Pain can also affect a person's lifestyle, mood, and overall health. Often, pain is the body's way of communicating that something is not quite right.
Dentist Pertev Kökdemir listed some ailments that can cause pain as follows:
- Sensitivity to hot and cold food/drinks lasting longer than 1 minute,
- Onset of swelling in the mouth,
- fever or headache,
- Sensitive, swollen or bleeding gums
- Clicking sound felt in the chin or ear,
- Pain in a tooth that lasts for more than 48 hours
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, you may have an infection in one or more of your teeth. It is extremely important to treat this promptly, as the infection can spread to other parts of the body, including the brain and heart. If left untreated, the infection can lead to a life-threatening condition. Let's not forget that there is a serious link between oral health and general health.
The following ways can be followed to eliminate toothache:
- For gum disease or Periodontitis: Brush and floss the teeth properly every day. If there is advanced inflammation, your dentist will need to intervene in the gums.
- For minor bruises: Regular brushing will allow the bruise to heal without the need for filling in initial level cavities in the form of white dots. However, fillings will be required for teeth that have turned into pits and become black.
- For advanced caries: If the dental nerves are affected in deep caries, the tooth can be healed without the need for root canal treatment with special fillings. However, if the nerve area is affected, a single-session root canal treatment will usually eliminate the problem.
- For inflamed teeth: If there is an accumulation of inflammation at the root tip, root canal treatment can be completed by dressing in two or three sessions. However, if there is a large or widespread cyst formation at the root tip, tooth extraction may be required. In this case, the missing tooth area should be completed with porcelain bridge or implant treatment.