The winners of the Waste Battery Collection campaign, which was organized for the 23rd time this year by Izmir Metropolitan Municipality, Portable Battery Manufacturers and Importers Association and district municipalities, have been announced. Winners were rewarded with computers, tablets and smart boards. Within the scope of the campaign organized for 22 years, 407,4 tons of waste batteries have been collected so far.
The Campaign for Collecting Waste Batteries, which has been organized every year since 1998 by Izmir Metropolitan Municipality, Portable Battery Manufacturers and Importers Association (TAP) and district municipalities, has been concluded. Participants in the campaign; children, youth, adults, kindergartens, mukhtars, district municipalities, Bizim Ev Family Child Youth Support Center and schools. The evaluation in the Schools Category has been postponed due to the schools switching to distance education due to the coronavirus epidemic. In this category, evaluation will be made in the coming days and the winners will be determined and their awards will be given. Participating and winners in the campaign in the other seven categories were awarded with laptop computers, desktop computers, tablet computers and smart slates.
They prevent environmental pollution
407,4 tons of waste batteries have been collected so far within the scope of the campaign aiming to prevent the rapid pollution of natural resources as a result of the free circulation of heavy metals such as mercury, cadmium and lead due to the random disposal of waste batteries. The collected waste batteries were separated according to their types in the recycling facilities and entered the crushing process, after which the metal-steel parts contained were sorted and sent to the iron and steel industry. The remaining black mass was disposed of in furnaces used in other sectors. Battery types that are not suitable for recycling are also stored in landfills in a controlled manner and disposed of by TAP.
The winners are as follows:
- Children category (Primary education level): Kerem Çağatay Yüksel, Ege Gölcük, Nil Asya Öner.
- Youth category (High school and university level): Ceylin Hezer, Ayşe Poyrazoğlu, Rüya Bayır.
- Adult category: Kübra Altıntaş, Rukiye Urgancı, Gülbahar Bayam.
- Kindergartens category: Çiğli Kindergarten, Private Duygu Kindergarten, Karşıyaka Kindergarten
- Mukhtars category: Körfez Neighborhood Mukhtar, Torbalı Neighborhood Headman, Mavişehir District Headman.
- District municipalities category: Bornova Municipality, Konak Municipality, Karşıyaka Municipality.
- Bizim Ev Family Child Youth Support Center category: Arif Çetin, Tahir Erkek, Seyhan Gülçin.