After a summer with extreme heat, the suddenly cold weather with autumn triggers heart diseases. In order to keep the body temperature falling in cold weather in balance, with the effect of stress hormones such as adrenaline, the increase in heart rate, blood pressure and blood coagulation level and the contraction of the vessels cause our heart to work harder. Stating that this situation poses a significant risk especially for cardiovascular patients and those with occult heart disease, Acıbadem Altunizade Hospital Cardiology Specialist Prof. Dr. Sinan Dağdelen said, “In cold and windy weather, the peripheral blood vessels of the body contract, the adrenaline level increases, the blood pressure-pulse balance is negatively disturbed, and the risk of cardiovascular diseases and complications increases as the blood circulation to the heart decreases, which can lead to a heart attack. As the cold weather negatively affects the immune system and paves the way for infections, the resulting inflammatory condition can also trigger cardiovascular diseases. There is a significant number of people over the age of 40 who are unaware that they have cardiovascular disease or hypertension in the community. Especially those with cardiovascular disease should be careful in the autumn-winter season. prof. Dr. Sinan Dağdelen made a statement within the scope of September 29 World Heart Day, explained the rules of protecting the heart in autumn, and made important warnings and suggestions.
Heart diseases increased in the pandemic!
Stating that among those who lost their lives due to Covid-19, the epidemic disease of the century, which has been threatening the whole world for about two years, people over the age of 70 are in the first place, Cardiology Specialist Prof. Dr. Sinan Dağdelen said, “In this period, the increase in both cardiovascular diseases and hypertension crises is an important problem. The increasing problems we experience related to cardiovascular diseases and hypertension can be explained not only by the effect of the virus, but also by the disruption of people's control, the inability to exercise, nutritional disorders and weight gain, and even the increase in psychological stress. Emphasizing that the pandemic process seriously affects the cardiovascular system along with all organ functions, immune system and human-society psychology, Prof. Dr. Sinan Dağdelen speaks as follows: “Among these effects, complications related to the respiratory system and cardiovascular system are unfortunately the target organs of Covid-19, which can cause the most dangerous consequences. Complications of Covid-19 related to cardiovascular system; myocarditis (heart muscle inflammation), pericarditis (heart membrane inflammation), acute heart attack, severe heart failure, cerebral vascular occlusion-stroke, heart rhythm disorders, uncontrolled hypertension attacks, pulmonary vascular occlusion (pulmonary embolism) and clot formation in leg veins. . We do not yet have definitive scientific data on the cardiovascular scars and complications that these complications may cause in the future in people who have had late and long-term Covid-19 (SARSCoV-2).”
9 measures that cannot be neglected for heart health!
Cardiology Specialist Prof. Dr. Sinan Dağdelen lists the measures that cannot be neglected against cardiovascular diseases in the autumn we entered under the threat of pandemic as follows;
- Strict compliance with the rules of protection from Covid-19 in the pandemic
- Avoiding fatty, floury, overly salty, fried and ready-to-eat foods
- Eating little and often, not being fully satiated
- Drinking at least 1 liter of water (this rate varies for kidney and cardiovascular patients)
- Avoiding smoking and exposure to passive smoking, as smoking increases the risk of death from cardiovascular diseases by 2-3 times.
- Consuming fresh vegetables and legumes instead of a meat-based diet
- Do not randomly use any supplements, vitamins or minerals unless recommended by a specialist.
- Walking on a flat surface for at least 30-40 minutes every day (this time and speed may vary in those with age, cardiovascular disease, systemic organ disease)
- To comply with the vaccination instructions of the World Health Organization and the Ministry of Health and not to take into account the recommendations of unauthorized persons