Nedret Güvenç, one of the legendary names of Turkish cinema, passed away in his sleep yesterday morning. Actor, director and voice actor Nedret Güvenç was 90 years old. Güvenç, who took part in many important projects, received the title of State Artist given by the Ministry of Culture in 1998.
A funeral ceremony will be held for State Artist Nedret Güvenç on Monday, August 2, 2021 at 11:30 am at the Harbiye Muhsin Ertuğrul Stage. The artist will be buried in Kilyos Cemetery after the funeral prayer at Teşvikiye Mosque.
Who is Nedret Guvenc?
Nedret Güvenç (Born on September 5, 1930, İzmir – Died on July 31, 2021, Istanbul) is a Turkish actor, director, voice actor and writer.
Having studied singing and piano at the Ankara State Conservatory, the artist decided to focus on theatre. Güvenç, who started theater in 1948 in Izmir, moved to Istanbul when Izmir City Theaters were closed in 1950 and joined Istanbul City Theatres. The artist, who also appeared on the stage as a guest actor at the Ankara State Theater between 1959-1960, returned to Istanbul afterwards. Güvenç, who has played a leading role in numerous theater plays, has many awards in this category.
The artist, who started directing with "The Greatest Gambling" in 1974, joined the "Theater Istanbul" after he retired from Istanbul City Theaters in 1995. He still continues his theatrical work. In 1998, he received the title of State Artist given by the Ministry of Culture. Güvenç also wrote Turkey's 2009 World Theater Day statement. He died on 31 July 2021 in Istanbul at the age of 90.
- Desire Tram, 1959, Tennessee Williams – Ankara State Theater (Stella role)
- Life in Our Father's House, 1960, Clarance Day\Howard Lindsay\Russel Crouse – Ankara State Theater
- The Old Song (Work: Reşat Nuri Güntekin, director: İ. Galip Arcan).
- Cyrano de Bergerac (Work: Edmond Rostand, translated by: Sabri Esat Siyavuşgil, Director: Galip Arcan)
- Road Under Water, 1957-58, (Written by Jean Anouilh, Director: Max Meinecke)
- Macbeth, 1962-63 (Work: Shakespeare, Translator: Sabahattin Eyuboğlu, director: Beklan Algan, co-starring with Agah Hün)
- House Play, 1963 (Written by Adalet Ağaolu, staged by Tunç Yalman)
- The Race Is Over (Photo-finish), 1963-64 (Written by Peter Ustinov, translated by Gencay Sav (Geğin), staged by Abdurrahman Palay)
- Kuru Noise (Much Ado About Nothing), 1964 (Şekspir, translated by Hamit Dereli, Director: Zihni Küçümen)
- Corrupt Order, 1964-65 (Written and directed by Güner Sümer)
- Lime Garden, 1965-66 (Written by Enid Bagnold, Performed by Şirin Devrim)
- Finding Yourself, 1967 (Written by Luigi Pirandello, Directed by Ergun Köknar)
- Autumn Storm, 1969 (Written by Daphne du Maurier, translated by Nihal Yalaza Taluy)
- Constans (Work: Somerset Maugham,
- Cherry Orchard, 1972 (Written by Anton Chekhov, translation: Melih Vassaf, directed by Hüseyin Kemâl Gürman
- Thorny Path, 1972 (Written by Janet Allen, directed by Vasfi Rıza Zobu)
- A Winter's Tale, 1973-74 (Work: Shakespeare, translation: Turhan Oflazoğlu, staged by Haldun Taner)
- Young Osman, 1974 (Work: Musahipzade Celal, director: Tunç Yalman)
- A Shore in the Sky, 1974 (Written and directed by Oben Güney)
- Blue Leaf House, 1975 (Work: John Guare, translation: Ülkü Tamer, staged by David Schaal)
- Blood Wedding, 1979 (Work: F. Garcia Lorca, translated by Turhan Oflazoğlu, directed by Haluk Şevket Atasagun).
- First Eye Pain (Work: Feraizcizade Mehmet, director: Vasfi Rıza Zobu)
- The King's Mare, 1982-83 (Work: Jean Canolle, translated by Asude Zeybekoğlu, directed by Nedret Denizhan)
- Either Devlet Başa, Ya Kuzgun Leşe, 1985,86, the role of Hürrem Sultan (Work: Orhan Asena, director: Nedret Çetin)
- From Day to Night, 1988 (Work: Eugene O'Neill, Translator: Gencay Gurun, director: Hakan Altiner)
- Ghosts, 1989 (Work: H. Ibsen, director: Çetin İpekkaya)
- The Ageless Game, 1997 (Work: Aleksey Arbuzov, translation: Gencay Gurun, director: Engin Gurmen)
- Wren (Musical)
- Golden Lake
- Love Letters (as Melissa)
- Who Died From Lying
- Hurrem Sultan
- Shrewd Girl
- Life in Father's House
- Such a Nevcivan
- Ivanov (Director: Huseyin Kemal Gurman)
Theater plays he directed
- The Biggest Gamble
- Bernarda Alba's House – Lorca. Istanbul City Theater
- Father – Strindberg, translation by Turan Oflazoğlu, music by Bora Ayanoğlu. Istanbul City Theater
- Men's Sale
- Freckle Rooster
- Shameless's Notebook
- There is no age for love
- At dawn
- Private Lives
- Republican Era Turkish Poetry (Theatrical poetry show. Staged with Doğan Hızlan, 50 theater actors took part, removed after the first performance due to a single Nazım Hikmet rubae in the show)
- For You Ladies. TRT. prg. by Nezihe Araz
- 1950 – Captain Tahsin (My Teacher Belkıs) (Director: Orhon Murat Arıburnu)
- 1951 – Yavuz Sultan Selim and Janissary Hasan
- 1951 – Exile (Suzidil Kalfa) (Director: Orhon Murat Arıburnu)
- 1951 – Tulip Era (Writer: Nâzım Hikmet, Director: Vedat Ar)
- 1953 – Blood Money (Director: Orhon Murat Arıburnu)
- 1953 – Hiccup (Nalan role)
- 1955 – At Sunrise (Director: Orhon Murat Arıburnu)
- 1956 – Black Bush
- 1956 – There Are Five Patients (Belkıs role, director: Atıf Yılmaz)
- 1957 – For You
- 1957 – Like Her Mother (Suheyla)
- 1957 – Kin
- 1958 – For My Baby (Suheyla)
- 1958 – Longing for Main
- 1959 - The Unfortunate
- 1963 – Bad Seed (Nuran) Golden Orange
- 1965 – Veysel Karani
- 1966 – Breakup Song
- 1972 – Malkoçoğlu Kurt Bey
- 1990 – Mansion
- 1959 – Undead Love – Belgin Doruk Voice Over
- 1963 – Dear Madam – Türkan Şoray Voice Over
- 1963 – Fearless Bully – Diler Saraç Voiceover
- 1965 – My Love and Pride – Voice of Hülya Koçyiğit
- 1965 – Four Women in the Harem – Pervin Par Voice
- 1965 – We Are Not Enemies Anymore – Ajda Pekkan Voiceover
- 1965 – Breadmaker Woman – Türkan Şoray Voice Over
- 1966 – I am an Outlaw – Pervin Par Voice
- 1966 – Evening Sun – Türkan Şoray Voice Over
- 1967 – Leaf Drop – Semiramis Pekkan Voiceover
- 1967 – Girl for Life – Semiramis Pekkan Voiceover
- 1967 – Haci Bektas Veli – Gulgun Erdem Voice Over
- 1967 – Alpaslan's Bouncer Alpago – Zeynep Aksu Voice Over
- 1967 – Evening – Suzan Avcı Voiceover
- 1967 – Until I Die – Semiramis Pekkan Voiceover
- 1967 – Handcuffed Angel – Tijen Par voiceover
- 1968 – Zeynebi of Seven Villages – Nazan Şoray Voice Over
- 1968 – Ivy Roses – Piraye Long Voice
- 1968 – Polished İbo on the Sidewalks of Istanbul – Yıldız Tezcan Voiceover
- 1968 – Rose and Sugar – Filiz Akın Voiceover
- 1968 – Funda – Voice of Suzan Avcı
- 1968 – Ayşem – Suzan Avcı Voiceover
- 1969 – Tomorrow is Another Day – Nevgin Ulukut Voiceover
- 1969 – The Man Who Pays for His Sin – Figen Say Voiceover
- 1969 – Empty Frame – Serpil Gül Voiceover
- 1970 – Lovers Do Not Die – Handan Adalı Voice Over
- 1970 – Little Lady's Driver – Nisa Serezli Voiceover
- 1971 – Here Camel, Here Trench – Gülgün Erdem Voice Over
- 1972 – Give God Give – Suicidal female voiceover
- 1972 – Breadmaker Woman – Fatma Girik Voiceover
- 1975 – Aşk-ı Memnu (TV Series) – Suna Keskin Voiceover
- Sand Lilies – Gürer Publications, 1989.
- Once Upon a Time in Izmir – Isbank Publications, Ist. 1991.
- Listen to Me, Young Theatre's Pocket Book – Nedret Güvenç, Türkiye İş Bankası Culture Publications, 2003.
- Without Love – İnkılâp Bookstore, 2005.
- 40 Years Album on Stage.
- “I Want a Country / Black Sheep” – Music: Bora Ayanoğlu, arrangement: Esin Engin Ercan Records, 1001.
- “Bird of Fortune”, composition: Ali Ercan, arrangement: Esin Engin, Ercan Plak, 1003-A.
- “Kardelen” (poetry record)
- Turkish Film Friends Association Award: Blood Money
- Golden Orange: The Bad Seed
- İlhan İskender Award: for her role as Roxanne in Cyrano de Bergerac
- Ministry of Culture Honor Award: From Day to Night
- Avni Dilligil Best Actress Award: Twice for her roles in Day to Night and Aşk Letter;
- Schiller Medal: Trick and Love
- Afife Jale Most Successful Female Artist Award: Ageless Play 1996-1997.
- 16th Afife Theater Awards Muhsin Ertuğrul Special Award – 2012