Severe Dizziness May Cause 'Equilibrium Crystals'

Severe Bass Freezing Could Be Caused by 'Equilibrium Crystals'
Severe Dizziness May Cause 'Equilibrium Crystals'

Acıbadem Maslak Hospital Ear Nose and Throat Diseases Specialist Prof. Dr. Nazım Korkut gave information about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV), which is known as 'displacement of crystals in the inner ear'. Acıbadem Maslak Hospital Ear Nose and Throat Diseases Specialist Prof. Dr. Nazım Korkut stated that the first severe dizziness attack in this disease usually starts when getting out of bed in the morning, and said, “The attacks are seen when bending over, looking up or down, or turning from one side to the other in the bed and lasts for about 15-60 seconds.” says. Due to severe vertigo attacks, driving a car, working at the machine, participating in sports activities, going up and down stairs, participating in meetings and social events can cause serious problems. Due to their fears, patients are confined to their homes and may be disconnected from social life. The good news is that it is possible to get rid of dizziness with 'maneuvering' treatment, which takes only a few minutes in BBPV; Moreover, one session is usually sufficient.

prof. Dr. Nazım Korkut said that vertigo is not a disease but a symptom.

Contrary to popular belief, vertigo, also known as dizziness, is not a disease, but a symptom seen in many diseases. The causes of dizziness are roughly divided into 'central' and 'peripheral' vertigo. Vertigo, which is seen in many central nervous system diseases such as brain hemorrhages, brain tumors, aneurysms, and multiple sclerosis, is only one of the symptoms of a very noisy and multi-symptom clinical picture. Korkut said, "However, in peripheral vestibular system diseases, vertigo, that is, severe dizziness, is the most important symptom that draws attention."

If the crystals in the inner ear are dislodged…

BPPV is a mechanical disease caused by calcium particles that normally exist in the inner ear to maintain balance, but escape from where it should be. It occurs when calcium carbonate particles (crystals) escape from the inner ear parts called utricle and saccule into the semicircular canals and these particles circulate freely in the canals. Another picture is formed by the adhesion of these particles to the section called 'ampullary cupula' of the semicircular canals.

prof. Dr. Nazım Korkut stated that a solution can be achieved in a single session.

A definitive solution to BPPV, which is a mechanical inner ear disease, can be provided with treatment. Although sometimes the crystals can return to their place on their own, usually the problematic channel or channels may need to be detected and treated with appropriate maneuvers. Calcium crystals escaping into the channels are sent to their original positions with 'reposition maneuvers', thus the problem is eliminated. Ear Nose and Throat Diseases Specialist Prof. Dr. Pointing out that the vertigo problem usually disappears in a single session with maneuver therapy, Nazım Korkut said, “The posterior channels are responsible for a very high rate of 80 percent of vertigo in BPPV. With the maneuvers aimed at these, dizziness mostly ends in the first session. BPPV of horizontal channels, which is less common, follows a more resistant course and it may be necessary to repeat the reposition maneuvers many times. said.

prof. Dr. Korkut explained that surgical intervention is rarely required.

Korkut states that surgical intervention is very rarely needed in patients who do not improve despite appropriate maneuvers, and continues: Especially in patients with long-term, frequently recurring BPPV, migraine may also be present. In this patient group, medical treatment of vestibular migraine is applied in addition to repositioning maneuvers.”

Audiologist Dr. Zeynep Gence Gümüş stated that the treatment was completed in a few minutes.

Very successful results are obtained from the 'canalolide reposition' maneuver in the treatment of BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo). Audiologist Dr. from Acıbadem Maslak Hospital. Zeynep Gence Gümüş, emphasizing that BPPV improves with reposition maneuvers if there is no underlying cause, said, “Maneuver treatment is a short treatment that takes minutes. By placing certain positions on the patient's head, it is aimed to replace the otoconia, which is known as the balance crystals among the people. While 85 percent of our patients recover in a single session, the remaining 15 percent may require more than one maneuver.” Dr. Zeynep Gence Gümüş underlines that in order to get effective results from maneuver treatment, head movements should be restricted for a few days afterward, and lying on the back (without turning to the right/left) with a high pillow.

Günceleme: 02/12/2022 15:46

Similar Ads

Be the first to comment

Comments