A general surgeon is a medical professional who surgically treats internal injuries or diseases in the head, endocrine system, abdomen, neck and other soft tissues.
What Does a General Surgery Specialist Do? What are their Duties and Responsibilities?
The responsibilities of the general surgery specialist who can work in clinics, private hospitals and public hospitals are as follows;
- Examining the medical history of the patients and making the diagnosis of the disease,
- X-ray, CT, MRI etc. interpreting scans,
- Deciding whether surgery is necessary based on test and examination findings,
- Informing the patient and their relatives about the method and possible risks of the surgical procedure,
- Planning the best procedure for treatment, taking into account the patient's allergy or other medical condition,
- Coordinating the nurse and anesthesiologist with other operating room personnel and planning the surgery,
- Prescribing treatments such as antibiotics, diet, or sedatives before and after surgery and helping the patient regain bodily functions,
- To follow up the patient's health status after surgery or treatment,
- Inspecting surgical equipment and operating room to supervise sterilization,
- To be faithful to patient privacy.
How to Become a General Surgeon?
To become a general surgeon, it is necessary to fulfill the following educational criteria;
- To graduate with a bachelor's degree from the six-year medical faculties of universities,
- To get at least 50 points from the Public Personnel Foreign Language Proficiency Exam (KPDS),
- To be successful in the Medical Specialization Examination (TUS),
- To complete the five-year general surgery residency period,
- Writing a graduation thesis and gaining a professional title
Features that a General Surgeon Should Have
- Being able to stay calm and make effective decisions in the face of stressful situations,
- Having hand-eye coordination,
- To provide team management,
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills,
- have high concentration
General Surgery Specialist Salaries 2022
As they progress in their careers, the positions they work and the average salaries of those working in the position of General Surgeon are the lowest 41.350 TL, the average 51.690 TL, the highest 77.190 TL.
Günceleme: 07/01/2023 18:58