How about going on a tour of Istanbul with your pets bored at home? Before the 4th October World Animal Protection Day, IMM rearranged the conditions for traveling with our dear friends in public transportation vehicles. In public transportation vehicles, guides and dogs and cats weighing less than 5 kilos can travel all day long, and dogs over 5 kilos can travel without a cage except between 07.00-10.00 and 16.00-20.00. It is enough for dogs to wear a muzzle and leash, and for cats to be carried in their special bag.
The quiet and mute domesticated residents of Istanbul get a new right before the October 4th World Animal Day. Pets, which are life friends of Istanbul residents, will be able to travel with their owners in public transportation vehicles within the framework of the determined conditions.
Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality (IMM) has reorganized the conditions for traveling with pets in public transportation vehicles by forming a higher committee with experts on a subject.
In subways, buses and ferries affiliated to IMM; guides and dogs and cats weighing less than 5 kilos will be able to travel all day long. Dogs weighing more than 5 kilos can travel without a cage except between 07.00-10.00 and 16.00-20.00. It will be enough for the dogs to wear a muzzle and leash, and the cats to be carried in their special bag. It will be possible to travel in public transportation vehicles at any time of the day, provided that they are transported in their cages with domestic bird species.
Travel conditions for pets in public transportation vehicles are as follows:
- Guide Dogs are accepted into the system with the person they accompany around the clock.
- Small dogs (less than 5 kg) can travel at any time of the day, only by being carried on the lap, provided that they are on a leash and muzzle.
- Medium and large dogs (more than 5kg) can travel outside of 07.00-10.00 and 16.00-20.00, provided that they are on a leash and muzzle. Cats can travel provided that they are carried in specially designed cat bags, baskets or cages.
- Small domestic bird species are accepted to stations and vehicles, provided that they are transported in cages.
- Guide dogs, like all dogs allowed to enter the system, can travel under the control of their owner, with a leash and muzzle not exceeding 50 cm in length.
- Cats will not be allowed to be carried in school bags, market bags, sports backpacks, material boxes, parcels, handbags and similar materials. Cats that are not transported under the specified conditions will not be allowed to travel, even if they are carried on a leash and on the lap.
- If transported outside of cages and cages, all dogs will be on the ground in the vehicle and close to their owner. No cage will be allowed to be placed on the seats and dogs will not be allowed to sit on the seats.
- Turkish Code of Obligations. Necessary legal actions will be taken in accordance with Articles 67 of the Turkish Penal Code and Article 68 of the Turkish Penal Code.
- Dog owners will be responsible for the compensation of any damage to persons, equipment and areas of use, and for cleaning the pollution (stool, urine, etc.) caused by animals.
- Predators, reptiles, arthropods, insects, primates, wild birds and farm animals that may harm other passengers in any way if released will not be accepted into public transportation stations and vehicles.