The school principal is responsible for the realization of education and training activities in the institution he is responsible for, in line with the purposes of National Education. Other important duties of the school principal are to develop safety protocols and emergency response procedures.
What Does a School Principal Do? What are their Duties and Responsibilities?
The principal's primary job is to review school policies and procedures, manage the budget, and recruit institution staff. Other responsibilities are:
- To ensure that the curriculum determined by the Ministry of National Education is implemented by the teachers,
- To provide guidance and counseling services to students towards their academic or professional goals,
- To prepare professional development programs to encourage the professional development of teachers,
- Coordinating the duties of the school janitor, security and other personnel,
- Evaluate student progress to determine whether educational plans and goals are effective.
- Managing the recruitment process of new teachers and assigning their individual roles after recruitment,
- To create a supportive working environment for all staff in the school,
- Managing relevant disciplinary procedures for staff and students,
- To hold annual progress meetings and to ensure that programs suitable for academic success are carried out,
- Managing the school budget and expenses,
- Establishing procedures and regular drills for emergencies such as fire and earthquake,
- Managing the salaries of teachers and other personnel,
- Ensuring the purchase of the necessary materials for the school, examining the invoices and making payments,
- Developing library resources and reading opportunities,
- To transmit the progress reports of the students to the parents,
- Ensuring the cleanliness, order, internal and external security of the institution,
- Approving diplomas, certifications, education certificates, contracts and similar documents
- Following all kinds of legislative changes in education and training
How to Become a School Principal?
The requirements for becoming a school principal differ in public and private schools. To become a principal in a public school; There is a requirement to have completed university education with a bachelor's degree and to be a permanent teacher at the Ministry of National Education at the time of application. To be a principal in a private school; It is necessary to have taught as a principal for at least two years in public or private education institutions, or to meet the conditions of teaching and to have worked as a principal instructor for at least two years.
Characteristics That a School Principal Should Have
- To have the appointment criteria determined by the Ministry of National Education,
- To ensure the coordination of students, parents and teachers,
- Demonstrate analytical and strategic thinking skills,
- To have managerial and leadership qualities,
- Demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills,
- Being open to professional development,
- Demonstrate planning and organizational skills
School Principal Salaries 2022
As they progress in their careers, the positions they work in and the average salaries they receive are the lowest 5.560 TL, the average 11.420 TL, the highest 20.740 TL.