📩 04/01/2023 08:28
The customs broker is responsible for checking that shipments comply with all applicable laws to prepare customs documents and facilitate the import and export of goods.
What does a Customs Broker do? What are their Duties and Responsibilities?
The job description of the customs consultant is specified in the Customs Law No. 7681 with the following expressions; “Customs advisors can follow up and finalize all kinds of customs procedures.” Other professional responsibilities of the customs broker can be grouped under the following headings;
- To determine the taxes and duties to be paid on behalf of the customer,
- Issuing necessary import documents such as customs invoices, certificates of origin and cargo control documents and signing documents on behalf of the customer using a power of attorney,
- Preparing import and export documents according to customs regulations, laws or procedures,
- Advising clients on import and export restrictions, tariff systems, insurance requirements, quotas, or other customs-related matters.
- Contacting the customs broker at the ports to expedite the discharge of the cargo.
What Education Is Required To Become A Customs Broker?
In order to become a customs consultant, it is necessary to fulfill the following conditions;
- To graduate with a bachelor's degree from the departments of Political Sciences, Law, Finance, Economics, Business Administration, Public Administration or Banking, which provide four-year education, or to complete postgraduate education in the specified departments,
- Having served as Assistant Customs Consultant for two years,
- Successfully passing the Customs Brokerage Exam,
- Being a citizen of the Republic of Turkey,
- Not being deprived of public rights,
- Not to be convicted of 'disgraceful crimes such as smuggling, embezzlement, conflict, embezzlement, bribery, theft, fraud, forgery, abuse of faith, fraudulent bankruptcy, false martyrdom, crime classification, slander',
- Not being dismissed from the civil service.
Features Required in a Customs Broker
- Having self-discipline
- Demonstrate an inclination towards teamwork and management,
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills, including written and verbal communication
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Having no travel restrictions,
- Ability to work under intense stress and make effective decisions.
Customs Broker Salaries 2022
As they progress in their careers, the positions they work for and the average salaries of the Customs Brokers are the lowest 7.180 TL, the average 12.270 TL, the highest 20.410 TL.