Do Not Touch Electricity If There Is A Rotten Egg Smell

Do Not Touch Electricity If There Is A Rotten Egg Smell
Do Not Touch Electricity If There Is A Rotten Egg Smell

Üsküdar University Occupational Health Department Head Dr. Faculty Member Rüştü Uçan reminded the precautions to be taken after the natural gas explosion in an apartment in Üsküdar, Istanbul.

The natural gas explosion that occurred in an apartment in Üsküdar brought up how to take precautions against possible risks. Stating that the valve should be closed first when the smell of rotten eggs is felt in homes or places where natural gas is used, experts warn that no electrical appliances should be touched. Expressing that such accidents can happen in many parts of the world, experts recommend that natural gas chimney outlets should not be closed.

Watch out for the rotten egg smell!

Starting his speech by reminding that natural gas is a lighter gas than air, Dr. Faculty Member Rüştü Uçan said, “That's why it accumulates at the top. It looks very quiet and innocent while using it, it has great benefits. However, when it exceeds 4 percent in the environment, it becomes an explosive gas. In fact, it has no smell, but because it is dangerous, a sulphurous material is put into it to give it a rotten egg smell so that it can be detected. The first thing to do when the smell of rotten eggs is felt in homes and places where natural gas is used, the first thing to do is to turn off the natural gas valve, and then not touch any electrical appliances in the house. In other words, if the lamp is on, it will stay on, if it is off, it will be off, and if the refrigerator is off, it will stay off. No intervention should be made to change the on-off status of electrical appliances.” said.

Electrical appliances should not be interfered with.

Stating that after the natural gas valve in the environment is closed, the windows should be opened and go out if possible. Faculty Member Rüştü Uçan said, “This way should be followed. Then the main valve must be turned off and immediately call 187. The relevant teams will immediately take the necessary measures for natural gas. Before doing this, if you turn on the power switch, open the refrigerator or do anything else, an explosion occurs. Even the smallest spark is enough to explode.” used the expressions.

Chimney outlets should not be closed!

Stating that they had theses done about natural gas explosions, Dr. Faculty Member Rüştü Uçan said, “We had models made at Üsküdar University. Such accidents happen in many parts of the world, we see them. Also, the following is done wrongly, if the combi boilers are opened outside, their pipes must be directed to the exterior of the building. In the newly constructed buildings, air gaps are left in the places where the combi boilers will be located. At the same time, there should be some warning detectors when there is a natural gas leak. There are also gas-cutting types of these detectors. If there is such a detector, explosions can be prevented. In some houses, since the people living in the house do not extend the boiler outlet on the balcony to the outside, they can create an explosive atmosphere there. The chimney outlets of the combi boilers must be outward. Since natural gas is a rising gas in houses, it has outlets at the top of the windows. Those exits should not be closed because of the cold.” said

Similar Ads

Be the first to comment

Comments