The AFET and Emergency Management Presidency (AFAD) announced that the cold and rainy weather expected to come over the Balkans will be effective throughout the country as of today. In the statement made by AFAD, “It is estimated that it will cause heavy rains in the form of heavy snow in places. Until Thursday, there is no danger of agricultural frost in the Aegean, Mediterranean and Southeastern Anatolia.
In a written statement from AFAD, it was stated that the cold and rainy weather expected to come from the Balkans is expected to be effective throughout the country, starting from the western parts as of today.
In a written statement from AFAD, it was stated that the cold and rainy weather expected to come from the Balkans is expected to be effective throughout the country, starting from the western parts as of today. Starting from Monday, it was stated that Turkey will be under the influence of colder and rainy weather coming over the Black Sea and said, “It is estimated that it will cause heavy rains in the form of heavy snow in places. Until Thursday, there is no danger of agricultural frost in the Aegean, Mediterranean and Southeastern Anatolia. There is a danger of avalanche in the high and steep sections with snow cover in our eastern parts, with the strong and heavy snowfall expected this week. It is important for our citizens and authorities to follow the current weather forecast and warning reports of the General Directorate of Meteorology for extreme cold weather, heavy snowfalls, avalanche danger and agricultural frost. AFAD Presidency Disaster and Emergency Management Center, provincial disaster and emergency management centers under the presidency of our governors, and our relevant institutions and organizations take measures in this context and follow the developments.
Do not go out unless necessary
- The measures that the citizens can take against the danger of frost and frost and the danger of avalanches are listed as follows: You should not go out unless it is necessary.
- Weather forecast reports should be followed before going out.
- Citizens in need of ongoing treatment (dialysis, delivery, etc.) should report their situation to the Provincial Health Directorate and health institutions in the provinces they are affiliated with.
- Icicles forming on the roofs should be avoided.
- Clothes that will keep the body warm should be preferred.
- Hands should not be kept in pockets while walking against the risk of slipping and falling.
- Walk with small and balanced steps.
- Non-slippery shoes should be preferred.
- The batteries of the mobile phones and, if any, the mobile charger should be kept full, and spare batteries should be available for the radio and flashlight.
Precautions to be Taken to Avoid Icing and Frost While Driving:
- Make sure that the necessary equipment (chain and tow rope, etc.) is present in the vehicle. (Snow tires should be used)
- Travel plans should be reviewed, alternative route plans should be prepared.
- If traveling is planned, information about the road and traffic should be obtained.
- The family and relatives should be informed of the location and route.
- Attention should be paid to "black ice", a transparent and slippery layer of ice that is not always visible.
- Traffic rules and restrictions must be followed.
- Public transport should be preferred.
- The headlights should be kept on during the day as well.
- There must be sufficient fuel in the vehicle.
- If a large vehicle is used in traffic, it should be waited in a safe place until the road conditions become suitable.
- Avoid entering streets with high slopes.
- Do not forget to wear a seat belt.
- It should not be neglected to have a disaster and emergency bag in the vehicle.
Precautions to be Taken Against Avalanche Hazard:
- First of all, it is important to stay away from avalanche areas, and not to make unauthorized nature camps and walks.
- In case of a possible avalanche; The area should be left very quickly, paying attention to the size of the avalanche, its speed, the width of the path, and the vehicles around.
- Try to reach the edge parts of the avalanche where it is slower and the height is less. Other people around should be warned by shouting or using other sound sources.
- If the avalanche situation is certain or if skiing is being done at that moment, ski boots and skis should be taken off and clinging to a fixed tree, rock or other object should be tried.
- Try to stay away from or protect from broken wood and rock pieces.
- Try to stay on the flowing snow by swimming.
- The mouth should be tightly closed, if possible, the breath should be held as long as possible when the head is under the abdomen.
- Before the avalanche stops, the hand must be kept on the face, covering the mouth and nose, and a breathing space, which will be vital during the snowfall, must be created.
- In the meantime, the gap can be enlarged by turning the head left and right.
Warning to all governors
The Ministry of Interior stated that all governorates were warned again about the snowfall, which is expected to start today, and announced that all units affiliated to the ministry were put on vigilance on a 24-hour basis in coordination with the General Directorate of Highways.
Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu shared on his social media account, “All our governorships have been warned again about the heavy snowfall that will begin today. Our Governorships, Special Provincial Administrations, AFAD, GAMER, 112 Emergency Call Centers, Police and Gendarmerie units have been put on alert on a 24-hour basis in coordination with the Ministry of Transport, General Directorate of Highways, against any negativities that may occur.