Ear Nose Throat Diseases Specialist Assoc. Dr. Yavuz Selim Yıldırım gave important information about the subject. Tinnitus has been increasing in recent years. Among the reasons for this; The widespread use of electronic devices and the fact that we always carry them with us, such as mobile phones, computers, Bluetooth headsets, modems, TVs, smart watches, remotes… Many electronic devices are always with us and around us. When does Tinnitus become a danger sign? How should we approach the patient with tinnitus? What should be done to understand the cause of tinnitus? What is used in the treatment of tinnitus? What should be done to prevent tinnitus?
Compared to the past;
- Teens consume more coffee and Alcohol
- Excessive consumption of junk food with high salt content
- high fat diet
- consuming too much chocolate
- a stressful life
- Exposure to constant noise and air pollution
- Psychological causes (depression, anxiety, phobic disorders)
- Irregular sleep
- Vitamin Deficiencies
Compared to past times, the reasons we listed above cause more ringing.
Apart from these, other causes can also cause tinnitus. For example, hormonal changes in women, disorders in the secretion of goiter hormone, exposure to loud noise, jaw joint problem, nasal congestion and middle ear infections, earwax, brain tumors, some ear diseases, side effects due to drugs used, and heart problems. are vascular diseases.
When does tinnitus become a danger sign?
Tinnitus in children, tinnitus that occurs suddenly and can be heard in one ear, tinnitus with dizziness, tinnitus with hearing loss, tinnitus in any part of the body with loss of power and sensation, and tinnitus that prevents them from falling asleep when they go to bed at night.
How should we approach the patient with tinnitus?
- Ringing in a single ear that occurs suddenly in a middle-aged and older person may be a sign of vascular occlusion. It is important to consult a physician early.
- Tinnitus, which occurs in one ear and is accompanied by hearing loss, is urgently important. The patient should immediately consult a physician.
- The onset of tinnitus in a patient undergoing chemotherapy may be the first sign of a side effect of the drug. He should see an Ear Nose and Throat physician immediately.
- Rarely, tinnitus may be the first symptom of brain tumors.
What should be done to understand the cause of tinnitus?
After a detailed history and questioning, blood tests, blood flow of neck blood vessels, hearing and balance test, endoscopic examination of the ear, ear tomography, brain MRI examination.
What is used in the treatment of tinnitus?
Although the treatment is based on the cause of the tinnitus,
- Device therapy
- tinnitus surgery
- magnetic stimulation
- Tinnitus Masker
- Educational therapy
What should be done to prevent tinnitus?
Do not listen to loud music, do not go to loud environments, concerts, discos, weddings, do not consume alcohol and beer, do not consume too much coffee, stay away from electronic devices as much as possible, use headphones if you are constantly exposed to noise in the work environment, do not consume too much chocolate and salty foods, drink plenty of water Don't talk too much on your cell phone. Reduce the stress in your life, regulate your sleep, get your earwax cleaned and take a walk.