Specialist Dietitian Tuğba Yaprak gave important information about the subject. It is a tree from the Cranberry family that grows spontaneously or can be grown in the forest, reaches a height of 5 meters, and blooms before the leaves open. 100 g of Cranberry berries; Contains 70 calories, 0,28 grams of protein, 0,4 grams of fat, 12,8 grams of carbohydrates and 3,71 grams of dietary fiber. It also contains 43 milligrams of calcium, 258 milligrams of potassium, 68 milligrams of vitamin C and 0,34 milligrams of iron. .
The benefits of cranberry are endless:
- It can be said that cranberry, which is called 'Super Food', does not have any health problems that it is not good.
- It consists of carbohydrates and fibers.
- It has a wide variety of vitamins and minerals such as manganese, copper and vitamins C, E and K1.
- With its high calcium content, it helps to heal bone diseases.
- Due to its melatonin content, it is one of the most natural suggestions for those who suffer from insomnia. It regulates the body's biorhythm by providing a regular sleep.
- It prevents hot flashes in women during menopause.
Positive effects on cardiovascular health:
- It has a positive effect on cardiovascular health due to its high antioxidant content and effects on blood coagulation.
- It delays vascular occlusion with antioxidant Flavonoids in its content. Thus, it reduces the risk of heart attack, stroke and sudden death that may occur due to vascular occlusion.
- At the same time, it increases the HDL (good cholesterol) level and lowers the LDL (bad cholesterol) level.
- It has the effect of preventing high blood pressure.
Positive effects on oral and dental health:
- With the proanthocyanidin substance in cranberry, it prevents bacteria from sticking to the teeth. It allows the adhered bacteria to separate.
- It also does not allow plaque formation. Thus, the incidence of dental caries is significantly reduced.
- It is also beneficial for the healing of wounds in the mouth with its anti-inflammatory effect.
- It prevents the formation of scurvy with its high vitamin C content.
Aids in healthy weight loss:
- It is a fruit that can be preferred in diets with its high fiber and low calorie content. Thanks to its high fiber, it gives a feeling of satiety.
- It reduces insulin resistance. Therefore, it plays a protective role against diseases such as obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes.
- It helps regulate bowel habits with its fiber content.
- It prevents ulcer formation.
Fight against Infection and Bacteria:
- With its high vitamin, mineral and antioxidant content, cranberry is an important support in the fight against infections.
- With its high vitamin C, it fights against microbes that cause infections in the respiratory tract, while reducing the symptoms of colds. One of the most important needs of our respiratory tract and immune system for the Covid-19 virus is vitamin C. As such, consuming cranberry fruit, which is a vitamin C store, will be one of the greatest favors we do to our body.
- With its vitamin E content, it increases the rate of infection recovery.
- It reduces the rate of urinary tract infections because it prevents the adhesion of microbes that cause urinary tract infections.
- It may play a protective role for breast, prostate and colon cancer. Cranberry fruit achieves this effect through polyphenols.
- Salicylic acid, especially in cranberry juice, eliminates tumor cells and prevents blood clotting.