Nothing beats the anticipation of your next vacation, especially if you are going to hit the road or jump on the plane heading towards your dream destination. However, at a certain point, your excitement is likely going to be replaced by a little panic – oh, that moment when you’ve just realized you have to figure out what to wear and what to pack! Even though planning your wardrobe for the trip, especially for a longer one, can be a bit overwhelming, things are getting much easier once you learn a couple of rules and some tried and true tips on how to bring everything you need and in just one suitcase.
Miracles do happen but the one-size-fits-it-all solution for packing still doesn’t exist, therefore here you have it: the ultimate list of important clothing items you have to bring on your trip depending on the type of your dream vacation.
It feels just appropriate to start with a beach vacation simply because it is arguably one of the most sought-after types of holidays – no matter the time of the year. Millions of people flock to enjoy white sand, turquoise waters, and other benefits of sea resorts scattered across the globe, and many of them often bring alone too many clothes they never use. On the other hand, they tend to forget truly essential items, facing unpleasant situations when they have to do shopping on the spot and pay more for things they can not make it without.
Shopping at home is always your best bet because thanks to Macy's, JCPenney, Kohl’s, and other big department stores, you can get everything you need in one place and at great prices. By the way, when it comes to Kohl’s, Swagbucks have some great offers to put together head-to-toe looks for anywhere and everywhere. Back to the packing for a beach vacation, try not to bring stuff that you are unlikely to wear such as upscale dresses and suits or too expensive jewelry – chances are, they will look out of place unless you are going to stay at some upscale resort.
Clothing items to pack:
- 4 T-shirts or casual tops
- 3 pairs of shorts or skirts
- 2–3 swimsuits or swimming briefs for men
- 1–2 swim cover-ups or swimming trunks respectively
- Sun hat – give preference to those with a wider brim
- 1 pair of fancy pants for evenings
- 1 sweatshirt or light sweater for eventually cooler evenings
- 1 outfit for dinners out, could be a sweet dress or slacks paired with a button-up
- Socks and underwear – that’s self-explanatory
- Workout gear in case you are plotting some fitness activities
Although footwear is not technically clothing, it is very important in the whole story of creating outlooks, therefore do not forget to bring comfy flat sandals for busy days, flip-flops or similar beach footwear, a pair of fancy shoes for going out, and, of course, sneakers if you want to work out or enjoy morning jogs. In addition to that, you can also consider packing special water shoes, which are great protection from coral and sharp rocks.
From the sandy white beach to a hot ticket campsite – nowadays, more and more people opt for camping. Depending on whether you own a serious RV or plan to hit the road in your city vehicle, the number and variety of clothing items may vary greatly, especially if your RV is equipped with a washing machine. Well, a lot also depends on the services available at the campsite or campsites if your trip is a lengthy one. However, the list below contains truly essential things you have to pack.
- Lightweight hat – a must-have that will protect you from the sun, wind, and, most important, ticks and other insects that are found in abundance on the grass and trees.
- Waterproof jacket – make sure it is also breathable
- Long pants and long-sleeved shirts – check the forecast to keep track of the weather
- Swimsuit or swimming briefs, of course, if you are going to stay near water
Mountain Biking Trip
Mountains are special in terms of the climate, so most likely you will experience changes in temperature. Colder mornings and evenings and warmer afternoons seek a larger variety of clothes than your usual vacation trip. All-weather is a buzzword, hence pick your gear respectively.
- Lightweight hat
- Waterproof jacket (lightweight and breathable)
- Wicking shirts
- Padded shorts or/and pants
- Several pairs of socks (at least two per day)
For A City Break
Sometimes you just do not have that luxury to go on vaca for two or more weeks but you still need a breath of fresh air and a kind of escape from run-of-the-mill. Well, a city break is a great opportunity to get what you want, and here is the packing list of things you will need for let’s say, a four-day adventure.
- 1 comfy trousers or jeans
- 1 skirt
- 4 tops to match the jeans and the skirt for daily activities
- 1 fancy dress or top for each night in the city
- 1 cardigan to suit all combinations
Boarding on one of those huge luxurious cruise ships is a dream for many travelers. Indeed, there is a lot to look for in a cruise trip in terms of entertainment, fine food, and meeting new friends. However, there is another side of the coin and it comes in the form of quite challenging packing. To enjoy every moment of your vacation, you will need a wider variety of clothes than usual:
- Jeans, slacks, or shorts as casual clothes for most days to wear onboard
- Swimwear (at least two pices, so you can quickly change the wet one)
- Elegant swim covers
- T-shirts, tops, or casual shirts with short sleeves
- Underwear, socks
- Pants or shorts with deep pockets that can be zipped for shore excursions
- Special swimwear if diving or snorkeling is on your bucket list
- Appropriate outfit for evening meals (golf shirts with dress slacks for men, blouses and skirts or cocktail dresses for women)
- Somewhat upscale attire for formal nights, well, of course, if you want to participate in them at all.
The rule of thumb to follow when choosing clothing items for your vacation trip is to opt for interchangeable pieces that can serve well for different combinations. Remember that you can always liven up any outfit with jewelry, belts, scarves, and other striking accessories.