Vat Energy General Manager Altuğ Karataş explained the details of the European Green Agreement, what it covers and the advantages it will provide for energy efficiency.
“The world is facing environmental pollution and a major climate crisis. Reasons such as the deterioration of the ecological balance and the increase in the effects of the climate crisis have forced the countries of the world to take precautions. On the other hand, world economic balances are forcing countries to continue the current system. The Kyoto Protocol and the Paris Agreement set the main objectives to keep the global average temperature increase below 2 ° C compared to the pre-industrial period and to continue the global efforts to keep this increase below 1,5 ° C. " Explaining the starting point of the European Green Agreement with these words, Vat Energy General Manager Altuğ Karataş stated that many countries, including Turkey, did not sign the agreement. He explained the reason with these words: “Many countries, including Turkey, have not signed this agreement. Because it was thought that the terms of the agreement would not be able to provide a rapid transition due to their impact on the economy. The European Union, on the other hand, has taken more initiatives, established directives and acted ahead of many world countries in the face of the climate crisis. Finally, by putting the European Green Consensus into effect, it has determined its targets and timetable. "
RESET TARGET FOR NET GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS
Stating that the European Union aims to be the world's first carbon neutral continent by 2050, Karataş points out that the European Green Consensus actually initiated the transition to a new economic order. He explains the conditions brought by the new order with the following words: “With the European Green Consensus, it presents the efforts to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions with the carbon tax they regulated to reduce carbon emissions arising from international commercial activities to its commercial stakeholders. This shows that a new economic order has been passed. With the European Green Consensus, nothing will be the same for EU countries and countries that have trade relations with the EU. With the European Green Deal, the EU will begin a period in which net greenhouse gas emissions are zero by 2050, economic growth is decoupled from resource use, and new jobs are created while reducing emissions ”.
The targets set within the scope of the European Green Consensus include 7 headings:
- Elimination of pollution
- Providing clean, accessible, safe energy and reducing losses with energy efficiency.
- Following an energy and resource efficient way in construction and renovation projects.
- Designing a fair, healthy and environmentally friendly food system,
- Accelerating the transition to sustainable and smart mobility,
- Protecting the ecosystem and biodiversity, taking necessary measures,
- Promoting an energy-efficient, environmentally friendly, sustainable production
WHAT SHOULD FIRMS DO FOR THE EUROPEAN GREEN CONSULTATION?
- Each organization should calculate its own Carbon Footprint and determine its Carbon policy,
- Energy Efficiency studies should be started, and due diligence should be made with energy studies,
- Formulate a strategy to reduce carbon emissions by self-consumption with clean energy production,
- Investigate European Union funds and incentives and support, and seek opportunities to benefit from these supports,
- The new order to be formed must be transformed from the threat dimension to the opportunity dimension.
Vat Energy manages the processes required by industrial facilities within the scope of the European Green Deal and provides consultancy support to companies.