The Covid pandemic, which has shaken our daily life habits deeply for the last year and causes children and adults to spend hours in front of the computer more than ever before, increases the incidence of eye diseases.
Acıbadem Altunizade Hospital Ophthalmology Specialist Dr. Mürüvvet Ayten Tüzünalp “Eye diseases have become quite widespread in this extraordinary process that was difficult for all of us. During the full shutdown period, we must pay more attention to our eyes than ever, as we will still be in front of the computer for hours; otherwise it may cause permanent eye damage, ”he says. Dr. Mürüvvet Ayten Tüzünalp talked about eye diseases that became widespread in the pandemic; He made important warnings and recommendations that should not be neglected in terms of eye health, especially in the period of complete closure.
Dry eyes and red eyes
While looking at the screen, the number of blinks per minute decreases from 15-20 to 5-6. However, since our cornea is fed by our tears, the complaints of dry eye increase in both adults and children in the period when the screen usage times increase so much. Dry eyes and redness are the main reasons for eye application. There is also an increase in allergic conjunctivitis findings due to the adhesion of allergen substances to our eyes and the inability to clean them due to dry eye. Since this situation, which occurs with itching and redness of the eyes, can also be confused with Covid findings, it may be necessary to request a PCR test from time to time.
There is an increase in stye complaints on the eyelid in infected eyes due to increased dry eye. Cystic styes caused an increase in patients requiring surgical intervention.
Astigmatism and Myopia
Nowadays, when we focus intensively and carefully on computer, tablet and phone screens for a long time, there has been a significant increase in astigmatism and myopia, especially in children. On the other hand, it is necessary to rest the eyes every 20 minutes and be careful not to prolong the time spent on the screen.
Dr. Mürüvvet Ayten Tüzünalp “In children who used to have eye crossing but could control it with glasses, looking at the screen for hours due to online education caused a significant increase in crossing. While some of them require surgical intervention, in this group of children, being particularly careful and spending time with home games instead of screens will help protect them from surgical intervention ”.
Pay attention to these suggestions in full closure!
- Do not forget to blink your eyes while looking at the screen. Make sure to blink at least 15 times a minute.
- Rest your eyes for 20 minutes in front of the screen every 5 minutes.
- Use artificial tear supplements in obligatory situations in consultation with the physician.
- In particular, make sure that children do not look at the screen for at least 1,5 hours after their online education ends.
- Since Covid can also be transmitted from the eye, use glasses instead of contact lenses whenever possible. Since it is difficult to use glasses with a mask, there is an increase in the use of contact lenses, so choose daily disposable lenses in this case.