Mercedes-EQ made the world presentation of the first fully electric luxury sedan model, EQS, on online platforms.
Mercedes-EQ redefines the luxury vehicle segment with the EQS, the first fully electric luxury sedan model. The EQS is also notable for being the first model based on modular architecture for luxury and high-end electric vehicles. Combining superior technology, design, functionality and connectivity, the EQS focuses on both driver and passengers. 245 kW power in the first stage 450+ EQS and 385 kW power EQS 580 4MATIC models introduced EQs, whereas in Turkey EQS 580 4MATIC The model is planned to be put on sale in the last quarter of 2021.
The brand's electric car vision
As part of the Ambition 2039 initiative, Mercedes-Benz aims to introduce a new fleet of carbon neutral vehicles over the next 20 years. The company plans that more than half of the cars it sells will have electric powertrains, including electric and rechargeable systems, by 2030. Mercedes-Benz thinks the future in many areas from today. The new EQS has been designed in a sustainable way in line with this approach. The vehicles are produced with a carbon neutral approach and use their resources efficiently with materials such as carpets made from recycled yarn. Mercedes-Benz is therefore carefully considering the entire value chain, from the development and supplier network to its own production process. Mercedes-Benz AG's climate protection goals have also been confirmed by the Science Based Targets Initiative (SBTI).
The most streamlined production car
The best Cd value was achieved with the 0,20 Cd friction coefficient obtained thanks to the close cooperation of aerodynamics experts and designers and numerous meticulous details including the “Purposeful Design” approach. This makes the EQS the most aerodynamic production car in the world. This value reflects particularly positively on the driving range. The EQS also stands out as one of the quietest vehicles with low wind friction.
EQS also provides energy recovery. kazanIt also records very good values for energy consumption: DAuto energy recovery kazan5 m/s² in the IM program, 3 m/s² back at deceleration kazanSlowing down (2 m/s² wheel brakes) is achieved. This allows to slow down to a stop without using the brake pedal, while at the same time the range is high reverse. kazanIt takes advantage of the IM level (up to 290 kW). For example, if a vehicle is detected in front at traffic lights, it will slow down to a stop. smart energy back kazanWith the help of ECO Assist, the driving system is optimized according to the driving conditions and the vehicle moves with a predictive driving style, taking into account traffic conditions or topography, among other factors. The driver can also adjust the glide function using the paddles on the steering wheel, and three separate energies kazanYou can choose one of the IM levels.
High range and low consumption values
With ranges of up to 770 kilometers (WLTP) and a power output of up to 385 kW, the power-transmission system of the EQS meets the needs of users in the S-Series segment. In addition, a performance version up to 560 kW is planned. All EQS versions have an electric powertrain (eATS) on the rear axle, while 4MATIC versions also have an eATS on the front axle.
EQS is offered with new generation batteries with much higher energy density. The larger of the two batteries has an energy capacity of 107,8 kWh. This figure means about 26 percent higher capacity compared to the EQC (EQC 400 4MATIC: Combined electricity consumption: 21,5-20,1 kWh / 100 km; CO2 emissions: 0 g / km).
Range of 15 km in 300 minutes
The EQS can be charged up to 200 kW in direct current fast charging stations. Only a 300-minute charge is sufficient for a range of up to 15 kilometers (WLTP). The EQS can be charged up to 22 kW with AC using the integrated charger at home or public charging points. There are also a variety of smart charging programs that can be activated automatically depending on location and functions such as battery-saving charging.
Electric Intelligence navigation plans the fastest and most convenient route, including charging breaks, taking into account many factors and reacts instantaneously to traffic jams or changes in driving style, for example. As a new feature, the infotainment system of the EQS (MBUX - Mercedes-Benz User Experience) visualizes whether it is possible to return to the starting point without charging with the available battery capacity. Charging points on the route, which are added manually in the route calculation, can be preferred or recommended charging points can be excluded. In addition, estimated charging costs per charge are also calculated.
"Purposeful Design" understanding
Although close to the new S-Class, the EQS is built on an all-electric platform. This completely new concept makes "Purposeful Design" possible. With its integrated curved lines, fastback rear design and cabin positioned as far forward as possible, the EQS differs from vehicles with internal combustion engines even at first glance. The design philosophies of "Sensual Purity" combined with "Progressive Luxury" bring generously shaped surfaces, reduced lines and seamless transitions.
The pre-design is combined with a "Black Panel" unit. The innovative headlights, linked by a light band and deep black radiator grille, create a distinctive look. With the central Mercedes-Benz Star, the appearance of the "Black Panel" radiator grille can be further enhanced. The optional 3D Star provides a more attractive appearance. Available with the Mercedes-Benz Star, AMG Line or Electric Art design packages. The original star of Daimler-Motorengesellschaft, which was registered as a trademark in 1911, is used as the design.
Ventilation system that can clean an area the size of approximately 150 football fields
Mercedes-Benz takes a comprehensive approach to air quality in the EQS with ENERGIZING AIR CONTROL PLUS. System; It consists of filtering, sensors, display concept and air conditioning. With its special filtering system, the HEPA filter captures fine particles, microparticles, pollen and other substances entering with the outside air. Sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides and odors are also reduced thanks to the activated charcoal coating. HEPA filter has "OFI CERT" ZG 250-1 certificate in the field of viruses and bacteria. With its pre-conditioning feature, the air inside can be cleaned without getting into the vehicle. Particle levels outside and inside the vehicle are also displayed on MBUX and can be viewed in detail in the special air quality menu. In case of poor outdoor air quality, the system recommends closing the side windows or the sunroof.
Automatic comfort doors
Automatic comfort doors at the front and rear are offered as an option. As the driver approaches the vehicle, the door handles come out first. As the user gets closer, the driver's door opens automatically. Using MBUX, the driver can open the rear doors, for example to ensure that children get into the car safely in front of the school.
The EQS is equipped with up to 350 sensors, depending on the hardware. These equipment track distances, speeds and accelerations, lighting conditions, precipitation and temperatures, seat occupancy and even the driver's blinking frequency and passengers' conversations. All this information is processed by special control units that are controlled by algorithms and make lightning-fast decisions. The new EQS has the ability to learn thanks to Artificial Intelligence (AI) and accordingly can improve its abilities based on new experiences.
Sound themes and ENERGIZING NATURE
The versatile sound experience in the EQS enables the transition from a conventional vehicle to an electric vehicle with a sound. Various sound themes allow for an individual acoustic setup. Along with the Burmester® surround sound system, it offers two different sound themes, EQS, Silver Waves and Vivid Flux. Sound Experiences can be selected or turned off from the central display. In addition, the interactive driving sound is produced by the speakers of the interior sound system.
Three different ENERGIZING NATURE programs, namely Forest Clearance, Sound of the Sea and Summer Rain, are presented as the new feature of ENERGIZING COMFORT. These provide an immersive and immersive in-cab sound experience. These calming sounds have been created in collaboration with acoustic ecologist Gordon Hempton. Like other programs that are part of ENERGIZING COMFORT, lighting modes and displays are used to appeal to other senses.
The chassis of the new EQS is based on the new S-Class with four-arm front and multi-arm rear axle architecture. While AIRMATIC air suspension ADS + is offered as standard, the vehicle's suspension is automatically lowered by 120 mm at around 10 km / h and another 160 mm at 10 km / h to reduce wind friction and extend the range. As the driving speed drops to 80 km / h, the vehicle height returns to the standard level. Sensors that follow the road adjust the suspension system not only to its height, but also to its working character according to road conditions. DYNAMIC SELECT driving modes, "Comfort" (comfort), "Sport" (sport), "Individual" (personal) and "Eco" (economy), offer the opportunity to adapt the suspension settings to the usage requirement.
The standard rear-axle steering with a steering angle of up to 4,5 degrees contributes to the useful and dynamic character of the EQS. Alternatively, the rear axle steering feature with a steering angle of up to 10 degrees can be ordered. Thus, the EQS, which is more than 5 meters long, offers a turning circle of 10,9 meters, equivalent to the turning circle of most compact class cars. The respective rear axle angles and trajectories can be viewed in the driving mode menu on the central display.
Autonomous driving ready infrastructure
Thanks to the sensors located around the vehicle, parking systems help the driver to maneuver easily in many areas.
Revolutionary DIGITAL LIGHT headlight technology (standard from the Advanced Plus trim level) ensures that guide signs or warning symbols are projected onto the road. Two new assist functions are Lane Keeping Assist or Blind Spot Assist, which displays the start of Lane Change Assist, provides a warning / guidance instruction when a danger is detected. DIGITAL LIGHT consists of three powerful LED light modules in each headlight that refracts and directs the light with 1,3 million micro mirrors. Consequently, a resolution of more than 2,6 million pixels per vehicle is achieved.
With DRIVE PILOT offered as an option, EQS can drive conditionally automated at speeds up to 60 km/h on roads with high traffic density or in stop-and-go traffic. The system that relieves the load on the driver, thus saving time for the driver. kazanyelling.
MBUX Hyperscreen capable of analyzing the driver's eyelid
MBUX Hyperscreen stands out as one of the most crucial points of interior design. The large curved screen runs along the console from the left A-pillar to the right A-pillar. There are three screens behind the curved glass, which together look like a single screen. The 12,3-inch OLED display for the front passenger provides space for personalization and control. Depending on legal regulations, entertainment functions can only be accessed from this screen while driving. An intelligent camera-based security system automatically dims the screen if it detects that the driver is looking at the front passenger screen.
With its adaptable software, MBUX adapts to its user and offers personalized recommendations for a wide range of infotainment, comfort and vehicle functions. Thanks to the zero layer feature, the most important applications are always at the highest level within the field of view, depending on the situation and context.
The most up-to-date driving assistance systems support the driver at many points. Micro-sleep function offered with Concentration Loss Assistant comes into play as a new feature. The driver's eyelid movements are analyzed through a camera on the driver display, which is only available with MBUX Hyperscreen. The help screen in the driver display shows the operation of the driving assistance systems in a clear full screen view.
Regardless of the platform, Integrated Safety principles (especially accident safety) are applied in all vehicles. Like all Mercedes models, the EQS is equipped with a rigid passenger cabin, special deformation zones and the latest safety systems. Available as standard in PRE-SAFE® EQS. The fact that the EQS has an all-electric platform brings new design possibilities for the safety concept. For example, it means providing a suitable place for the battery to be placed in an area protected against impact in the lower body. In addition, since it does not have a large engine block, the behavior in a frontal collision can be modeled more easily. In addition to standard crash tests, the vehicle's performance in various additional stress situations was confirmed, and extensive component tests were carried out at the Vehicle Safety Technology Center (TFS).
|450+ EQS||EQS 580 4MATIC|
|Traction system||Rear thrust||All wheel drive|
|Electromotor (s)||Model||Continuously driven synchronous motor (s) (PSM)|
|Maximum engine power||kW||245||385|
|Maximum transmission torque output||Nm||568||855|
|Acceleration 0-100 km / h||sn||6,2||4,3|
|Maximum speed||km / h||210||210|
|Usable battery energy (WLTP)||kWh||107,8||107,8|
|Maximum energy back kazanIM capacity||kW||186||290|
|Integrated charger (standard / option)||kW||11/22||11/22|
|Charging time at wallbox or public charging point (AC charging, 11/22 kW)||sa||10/5||10/5|
|Charging time at fast charging point (DC)||dk||31||31|
|Maximum DC charging capacity||kW||200||200|
|DC charging in 15 minutes (WLTP)||km||Up to 300||Up to 280|
|Mixed consumption (WLTP)||kWh / 100 km||20,4-15,7||21,8-17,4|
|CO2 emissions (WLTP)||g / km||0||0|
|Mixed consumption (NEDC)||kWh / 100 km||19,1-16,0||20,0-16,9|
|CO2 emissions (NEDC)||g / km||0||0|
|Length / Width / Height||mm||5.216/1.926/1.512|
|Track width front / rear||mm||1.667/1.682|
|Turning circle (4,5 ° / 10 ° with rear axle steering)||m||11,9/10,9|
|Trunk volume, VDA||liter||610-1770|
|Ready to ride weight||kg||2.480||2.585|
|Maximum Permissible Weight||kg||2.945-3.025||3.060-3.135|
The new EQS in numbers
- WLTP driving range of up to 770 kilometers, depending on battery size and vehicle version.
- For the aerodynamic world record of the EQS, several thousand computational runs were performed in the virtual wind tunnel with about 700 CPUs per compute. With a value of 0,20 Cd, the EQS takes the title of the most aerodynamic mass production car. The front area of the EQS is 2,51 m2, which creates an effective weather resistance of 0,5 mXNUMX.
- The torque transmitted by the EATS to the wheels is controlled and regulated 10.000 times per minute. The system responds much faster than the 4MATIC versions with mechanical all-wheel drive.
- The modular power-transfer system provides a wide power range between 245 kW and 385 kW. In addition, a performance version that produces up to 560 kW of power is planned.
- EQS energy back kazanIt also registers good values with the IR: DAuto energy recovery kazan5 m/s² back at the time of 3 m/s² deceleration in the IM program kazanSlowing down (2 m/s² wheel brakes) is achieved. This allows to slow down to a stop without using the brake pedal, while the range also extends to this backwards. kazanIM strategy and high back kazanIt takes advantage of the IM level (up to 290 kW).
- Four automatic comfort doors are offered as an option. Using MBUX, the driver can also open the rear doors to allow children to enter the vehicle in front of the school, for example.
- The standard rear axle steering has a steering angle of up to 4,5 degrees, contributing to the useful and dynamic driving characteristics of the EQS. Alternatively, rear axle steering with a steering angle of up to 10 degrees can be ordered or activated via an over the air update (OTA). Thus, the EQS, which is more than 5 meters long, exhibits agile driving characteristics with a turning circle of 10,9 meters.
- DIGITAL LIGHT consists of three powerful LED light modules in each headlight, whose light is refracted and directed by 1,3 million micro mirrors. This means a resolution of over 2,6 million pixels per vehicle.
- Multiple displays combine with MBUX Hyperscreen to create a curved screen band of more than 141 centimeters wide. The area perceived by passengers is 2432,11 cm2.
- The 3D curved screen glass of MBUX Hyperscreen is shaped with a special process at 650 degrees. This process allows a clear view of the screen from different angles across the width of the vehicle.
- Depending on the hardware, up to 350 sensors monitor the functions of the EQS or match the vehicle's environment. This doesn't even include antennas. The sensors record, for example, distances, speeds and accelerations, lighting conditions, precipitation and temperatures, seat occupancy, as well as a blink of the driver or passengers' speech.
- EQS's optional driving sound is interactive, with accelerator pedal position, speed or energy recovery. kazanIt adjusts itself according to many parameters such as
- No.6 MOOD Linen is the name of the fragrance created specifically for EQS. Since the first electric cars were added to the product range in 1906 as "Mercédès Electrique", they are named with the number 6.
- Over 40 discoveries are made available in the EQS. In addition, 20 design applications maintain the extraordinary design of the electric luxury sedan.
- To access the most important applications of MBUX, it is sufficient for the user to navigate at the 0 menu level. Therefore it is called zero layer.
- The viewing area of the large head-up display, which is offered as an option, corresponds to a 77-inch diagonal screen. The imaging unit consists of a high resolution matrix of 1,3 million mirrors.
- The "Mercedes-Benz Star" is used in different points of the EQS, for example on the exterior, on the "Black Panel" or as an exterior design element such as a light alloy wheel. Inside, it is used in laser-cut backlit ornaments or digitally on the front passenger display. The original star of Daimler-Motorengesellschaft, which was registered as a trademark on February 9, 1911, is used in 3D by design.
- The HEPA filter, a part of the optional ENERGIZING AIR CONTROL Plus feature, cleans the outside air with its 9,82 dm³ volume and high filtering level. More than 99,65 percent of particles of all sizes are removed. Approximately 600 grams of activated charcoal is used to neutralize odors. An area equivalent to about 150 football fields is fading.
- For intuitive feedback, the MBUX Hyperscreen has a total of 12 sensors under the touchpad. When the finger touches certain points, a tangible vibration is triggered on the surface.
- The Burmester® surround sound system in the EQS consists of 710 loudspeakers with a total power of 15 Watts and produces an extremely impressive, natural sound.
- A special surface coating on the screen of the MBUX Hyperscreen makes cleaning easy. The curved glass itself is produced from scratch-resistant aluminum silicate material.
- The EQS is the first mass-production car with a value of 0,20 Cd and at this point it greatly benefits from the advantages of Purpose-Oriented Design.
- MBUX stands out with technical values such as 8 CPU cores, 24 GB RAM and 46,4 GB RAM memory bandwidth per second.
- The screen brightness of the MBUX Hyperscreen is adjusted according to the ambient conditions using measurement data from 1 multifunction camera and 1 light sensor.
- “Hey Mercedes” supports 27 languages with its Natural Language Understanding (NLU) feature.
- In 2022, a total of eight Mercedes-EQ electric vehicle series will be produced at seven locations on three continents.
- A 10-year or up to 250.000 km warranty is given for high-voltage batteries.
- The resource-saving materials used in the production of the EQS (recycled and renewable raw materials) weigh 80 kilograms.