Early eating habits continue into adulthood. Making children love vegetables is very important for their development. The Sabri Ülker Foundation emphasizes that the preschool period is an important time for children to discover vegetables and makes the following suggestions: “Tasting can be a good way to introduce young children to various vegetables. Trying new flavors outside of the usual mealtimes can also help. But don't force kids to try vegetables, just encourage them. '
We all know that consuming lots of different vegetables is important for our health. Because these foods contain many vitamins, minerals and fiber. Early eating habits continue into adulthood. Preschool period is a very important time for children to discover and experience many different vegetables and other foods and to make a life-long habit of healthy and varied nutrition. All kinds of edible parts of the plants are mostly gathered under the vegetable and fruit group. Vegetables, of which the majority of their composition consists of water, contribute very little to the daily energy, fat and protein requirement, but have a very rich content in vitamins and minerals that have important functions in the body. Therefore, vegetables are indispensable in an adequate and balanced diet!
Tasting is a good way for kids
It is of great importance for the development of children to endear the vegetables whose benefits are endless. The recommendations prepared by the British Nutrition Foundation (BNF) for this can be a guide for many families… Young children are usually naturally cautious about new foods. So it may take multiple attempts to get them to try something different. Among these foods, vegetables can be even more disadvantageous! Like carrots and zucchini ... The main reason for this is that some vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, chard and cabbage are naturally bitter or rather astringent ('bitter-sour' taste) and young children have these tastes compared to older children and adults. to be more sensitive. So vegetables are more likely to be rejected by children compared to other foods. Tasting can be a good way to introduce young children to a variety of vegetables. Trying new flavors outside of the usual meal times can allow children to approach new foods differently, discover tastes and textures in a comfortable environment with other children.
Let them smell before they taste it
Some important tips for a tasting session for preschool children;
- Choose three different vegetables to taste.
- Cut vegetables into small sizes and make them more noticeable when serving (like serving in colorful bowls).
- Give each child a special plate. Let them serve the vegetables themselves on the plate with a spoon.
- Have them sniff each vegetable before tasting it and ask what they notice. You can liken vegetables to positive objects or experiences. For example; this pepper is as yellow as the sun, like the sunshine!
- Make sure to try one vegetable at a time and consume a sip of water between each different vegetable tasting, but don't force it.
- Don't force kids to try vegetables, just encourage them. It is very important for the child's immediate surroundings and most importantly, the mother to try.
- Make or reward the kids with a tasting certificate with their names for trying the vegetables. For example, when you are tasting, play together with your child outside in the playground.
Key to disease resistance
Different types of vegetables are grown and consumed in different seasons. Regular consumption of vegetables in accordance with the season is of great importance for the human body. Here are the benefits of vegetables…
Vegetables are rich in folic acid, beta-carotene, which is the precursor of vitamin A, vitamins E, C and B2, calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, fiber and other non-nutrient-dense but antioxidant compounds that have an important biological function.
- It helps to eliminate harmful substances from the body.
- It helps growth and development, which is especially important for childhood.
- Provides cell renewal and tissue repair.
- It contains essential ingredients for skin and eye health.
- It protects the health of teeth and gums.
- It is rich in elements involved in blood production.
- They are effective in the formation of resistance against diseases. It reduces the risk of obesity and chronic diseases (cardiovascular diseases, hypertension, some types of cancer) due to unbalanced nutrition.
- It helps the intestines to work regularly.