📩 18/02/2021 11:22
Under the influence of a large part of Turkey's snowing. People who have been in homes for a long time due to COVID-19, took the opportunity to take the semester break and headed to places where snow is intense, such as Uludağ. Stating that slippery ground due to snow and sports such as skiing and ice skating increase falls and injuries, Anadolu Medical Center Orthopedics and Traumatology Specialist Assoc. Dr. Kenan Keklikçi said, “The most common winter sports injuries are sprains, fractures and dislocations, head traumas and frostbite on fingers and toes caused by prolonged exposure to extreme cold called 'Frostbite'.
Anadolu Medical Center Orthopedics and Traumatology Specialist Assoc. Dr. Kenan Keklikçi shared the ways to avoid accidents in winter sports and what should be considered on snowy ground.
Ways to avoid accidents in winter sports
- Never participate in winter sports alone, be sure to have someone you can get help with for difficult situations.
- Do not smoke, especially before going into the cold.
- Before participating in the activity, keep your fitness at a certain level.
- Be sure to warm up before the activity. Remember that cold muscles, tendons, and ligaments are susceptible to injury.
- Be sure to use protectors such as knee pads, gloves, helmets and goggles.
- Before the activity, make sure that the equipment you will use in the activity is working perfectly and that it is suitable for your body.
- To protect your body from the cold and to keep it warm, wear light, multi-layered clothing with water and wind protection.
- If you are sweaty, change your clothes.
- Remember to review all the safety rules specific to each activity before participating in the activity.
- If you do not have enough experience, ask a qualified trainer "How to drop safely and correctly to reduce the risk of injury?" take the lesson.
- Track daily weather and take alerts seriously.
- Before sports such as skiing and snowboarding, be sure to learn about the geographical features of the region where you will do the activity. (Valleys, rocky areas, wooded areas, slopes etc.)
- Only participate in the activity at night in areas that are very well lit and familiar.
- Do not engage in such activities on the avenues and streets.
- Drink plenty of water before and after the activity.
- If you have muscle and joint pain and are tired, postpone these activities, do not participate.
Things to consider when walking on snowy streets
- Hands should not be walked in pockets, hands should be free despite the danger of falling.
- Shoes suitable for walking on snow should be worn.
- Big steps should be avoided, not rushed, but slow and small steps should be taken.
- A lot of attention should be paid to slippery floors and stairs in apartment and building entrances.
- Move slowly and carefully as possible, and avoid sudden and fast movements.
- Bags and bags should not be carried in the hands as much as possible against falls.