📩 04/01/2023 08:55
Varicose veins are seen as blue, enlarged and folded under the skin. Although swelling is seen as a result of the dilation of the vessels at the beginning, with the increase of varicose findings, large vessel packages may occur and even vessel cracks may be seen. Although varicose veins often cause discomfort in the first years, it can cause pain later. If venous (venous) insufficiency develops, swelling occurs in the legs. If clots form in varicose veins (thrombophlebitis), pain, swelling and redness occur in the legs.
Varicose veins are more common in women than men. Its incidence increases with advancing age. What causes varicose veins? What are the symptoms of varicose veins? Are there varieties of varicose veins? Are varicose veins a problem? How to treat varicose veins? How is the development of varicose veins prevented?
What causes varicose veins?
Many factors play a role in the formation mechanism of varicose veins. Varicose veins may occur due to pregnancy, obesity, long standing, some professions, being a woman, birth control pills and hormone treatments, wearing tight clothing, constipation, old age and genetic factors.
Varicose veins occur as a result of insufficiency in the venous valve. Blood is constantly running back and ponding. This causes an increase in pressure and swelling in the vein. Over time, the widening of the vein increases and curls occur. Varicose veins can occur at any level of the veins. There may be vein insufficiency in the groin, as well as insufficiency at the leg level. Sometimes the cause of varicose veins can be a clot in a vein. Behind the occluded vein, blood pool and the vein expands.
What are the symptoms of varicose veins?
The main complaints caused by varicose veins are:
- Blue purple swelling in the legs
- A feeling of heaviness in the legs
- Swelling in the legs
- Numbness in the legs
Are there varieties of varicose veins?
Varicose veins; capillary varices, reticular varices and large venous varices. Capillary varices, It is called telangiectasia. These varicose veins usually occur as a result of cracking of capillaries. They look like a spider web. They are common in pregnancy and young women using hormones.
Reticular varices Rather, it is slightly raised and blue in color from the skin seen around the back of the knee and around the ankle.
Large vein varices It occurs as a result of the failure of the large vein called the saphenous vein in the leg. They become quite fluffy and greenish from the skin. They show all the symptoms of varicose veins.
Are varicose veins a problem?
Varicose veins that initially cause discomfort only as an appearance; They may cause severe pain in the leg, inflammation of the vein, rupture of varicose veins, and clot formation in the varices and clotting into the lungs (pulmonary embolism).
How to treat varicose veins?
Varicose veinis the most traditional method of removing. However, it is both troublesome and takes a long time to heal. Another method is to correct varicose veins, that is, vascular sclerotherapy, by giving foam into the vein. However, in this method, varicose veins are likely to recur.
In the laser treatment method, a catheter is inserted into the vein and a beam is sent from the laser device and the vein is burned. In the radiofrequency method, radio waves are sent into the vein with the help of a catheter. Meanwhile, a heat is generated and the vessel is burned. During these procedures, only local anesthesia is used and patients can leave the hospital after day treatment.
How to prevent varicose veins?
- Regular exercise (running, walking, cycling, swimming)
- Not working by standing or sitting for a long time
- Losing excess weight
- Not sitting with your legs crossed for a long time
- Not wearing tight and tight clothing
- Choosing comfortable shoes instead of high heels
- Avoiding constipation, consuming high fiber foods
- Resting by lifting the legs in the air after standing for a long time
- Hot springs facilitate the formation of varicose veins and increase complaints with the effect of heat.
- Professionals that require standing or those with a genetic predisposition to varicose veins can use compression stockings.
- It may be beneficial to massage other parts of the leg, not directly on the varicose veins.
- It is useful to get up and walk around frequently on long-term trips.
- If you are experiencing one or more of the above symptoms, it is recommended that you apply to the nearest health facility immediately.