Dental health is of great importance at all ages. Therefore, with the first tooth seen in children, it is necessary to take the first steps for dental health.
Drawing attention to the importance of the first examination with the first tooth, DoctorTakvimi.com expert Uzm. Dt. Işıl Kırgız Karahasanoğlu says, “In the long term, regular dentist controls will lay the foundations of decay-free and healthy teeth”.
The presence of milk teeth, whose most important task is the nutrition of children, also plays a role in the proper development of speech and the correct pronunciation of letters. While the deciduous teeth, which are 20 in total, provide the three-dimensional development of the jaws, the jawbone protects the area they are in for the permanent tooth that will replace them and guides it while the permanent tooth is erupting. Drawing attention to the fact that this natural placeholder function disappears when any milk tooth is extracted early, DoctorTakvimi.com specialists Uzm. Dt. Işıl Kırgız Karahasanoğlu gives important information about milk teeth and dental health in children.
First deciduous teeth come out at 6-12 months of age
Stating that the first dental examination of children should be done with the appearance of the first tooth in the mouth, Uzm. Dt. Karahasanoğlu points out that the first deciduous teeth begin to erupt when children are about 6-12 months old. Exp. Dt. Karahasanoğlu summarizes what was done during the dental examination during this period as follows: “During the examination, mothers are given oral hygiene training to explain how to clean their children's teeth. Important points about nutrition and caries prevention are highlighted. Thus, the foundations of decay-free and healthy teeth are laid with regular dentist controls in the long term.
A future without caries with preventive dentistry
Underlining that the aim of pediatric dentistry is to direct children to a future without decay by taking measures to prevent the occurrence of dental problems, DoctorTakvimi.com specialists Uzm. Dt. Işıl Kırgız Karahasanoğlu lists the work done by pediatric dentists in this direction as follows:
- Determines the caries risk group of children and performs protective-preventive applications (such as oral hygiene training and motivation, fissure sealant and local fluoride application).
- It monitors the jaw development and the driving path and order of the teeth during growth and development, and prevents possible tooth crowding with protective orthodontic treatments.
- In cases where deciduous teeth are lost early, it prevents possible space loss and crowding by applying placeholder appliances.
- In the presence of harmful habits (such as finger sucking, nail biting, prolonged pacifier or bottle use), habit-breaking appliances allow habits to be abandoned and possible damages to be minimized.
- In cases where permanent teeth are missing, it improves the aesthetic appearance and chewing by making tooth prostheses.
- It performs dental treatment of children who need special care.