Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality (IMM) has taken some measures to reduce the density that may occur in public transportation vehicles due to the restriction of going out on the streets.
Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality Department of Transportation took some decisions to prevent disruption in public transportation during the hours other than the curfew, which was introduced due to the pandemic. The decisions aimed at reducing the passenger density in vehicles are as follows:
- In IETT and Private Public Buses, all non-defective vehicles are in operation, and each line will continue to be operated with the most frequent voyage frequency possible.
- The buses on the lines that have a relatively low passenger density during peak hours and are below the capacities determined by the Provincial Hygiene Board will be shifted to the lines with passenger density, and the voyage intervals will be reduced. For this purpose, determinations will be made this week and line arrangements will be made gradually as of 07.12.2020.
- After 21:00 on the metrobus line, the trips will become sparse. The drivers working during these hours will be shifted to the hours during the day and their voyage intervals will be reduced. Thus, the number of trips during the day will be increased.
- Between 06:00 - 21:00, 6 BRT vehicles will be kept as backups ready for service in order to prevent instant passenger density.
- Rail systems will be served with maximum capacity during peak hours.
- Turnstile adjustment will continue in City Lines according to pier and ship capacities. Additional voyages will be added if the passenger demand exceeds the capacity of the ship.
- Announcement will be made regarding the use of masks and physical distances in order to increase awareness in public transportation vehicles, internal and external inspections will be increased.