Where is Karahisar Castle? Afyonkarahisar Castle is a volcanic castle located in Afyonkarahisar.
Located in the city center of Afyonkarahisar on a naturally elevated rock mass with volcanic characteristics and a height of 226 meters from the ground, the Hittite emperor II. This castle, which was used as a fortified position during the Arzava expedition during Mursil's time, was firstly Hapanuva; Acroenos in the Roman and Byzantine periods; It has been called as Karahisar since the Seljuks. Karahisar Castle can be reached with 1350 steps. Although its historical texture has not been preserved, there are still old ruins.
Seljuks and Ottomans
Since the treasures of the Seljuk Sultan Alaeddin Keykubat I were kept in this castle, the castle was also called Hisar-ı Devlet. During the period of the Seljuk vizier, Sahip Ata Fahrettin Ali, the name of the castle became Karahisar-ı Sahip. II, who had it repaired in 1573. Selim, on the other hand, named the castle Afyonkarahisar because of the opium grown in the region.
Legends About Karahisar Castle
- According to the legend, Hz. Ali came here. While his horse was on Düldül, the traces of his four horseshoes remained in the castle.
- The legend about Battal Gazi is also very interesting. The daughter of the Roman Emperor falls in love with Battal Gazi, who surrounds the castle, and wants to send him a note tied to a stone, but when he throws this note, it hits Battal Gazi's head and causes his death.
- It is rumored that the famous Turkish warrior Tarkan also died in this castle.
- With the effect of so many legends, there are more than one wish tree in Karahisar Castle today. It is believed that those who want to marry will make their wishes come true by tying a rope to this tree.
- There is a stone bathtub in Karahisar Castle. There are also rumors that the woman lying in this bathtub will conceive.
- If you can throw stones into the three grooves on the castle door, it is among the rumors when your three wishes are accepted.