Schools are opening this year in line with Covid-19 measures. It is very important to correctly explain Covid-19, protection methods and measures to be taken to children who will go to school and to guide children correctly.
Children should be informed about the virus, hygiene rules and correct use of masks should be explained without scaring children. Anadolu Medical Center Child Health and Diseases Specialist Dr. Ela Tahmaz Gündoğdu explained the measures to be taken in schools ...
- In order for children to develop their mask-wearing habits, especially younger children should wear masks in their favorite characters. In addition to ready-made cartoon character masks, masks from favorite characters can also be sewn. However, it is important that the masks have a protective feature, and at least 2 layers of cotton fabric suitable for the child's face should be selected.
- The correct use of the mask must be taught to children. It should be explained that the mask should not be touched with dirty hands and that the hands should be disinfected without changing and changing the mask. At least 2-3 spare masks should be given to the child; He should be taught to change his mask after eating and to disinfect his hands.
- After touching the common areas, hands should not touch the mask, face, mouth and nose and should definitely be washed. Especially younger children should be taught that hands should be washed for 20 seconds.
- The importance and attention of social distance should be taught to children. Social distance should be observed especially in crowded areas such as canteens, recesses and dining halls. It should be explained to the child that all contact with friends (going hand in hand, making hand jokes, etc.) should be avoided.
- Children should be told that hands must be disinfected after contact with areas that everyone touches such as door handles, washbasins, stair rails.
- The use of disinfectant in young children should be checked, the amount of disinfectant appropriate for the child and how to clean hands should be explained.
- Children should be told that products such as erasers, pencils, sharpeners and books should not be shared with other classmates.
- Open food should not be consumed or kept in schools. Children should be taught that food and drinks should not be shared in this process. Food should be taken from home, if possible. Hand cleaning should be provided before eating and drinking.
- A mask should be worn when using common washbasins in schools, and hands should be thoroughly washed and disinfectant should be used after touching areas such as toilet seat, toilet seat and flusher.
- Spare masks and disinfectants should be available with children.
- In cases where a mask is not used (for example, when eating), the mouth should be covered with a tissue while sneezing or coughing, if there is no tissue, the mouth should be covered with a hand elbow.
- People who cough, sneeze, look sick should be avoided.
- While getting on and off the school bus, attention should be paid to the distance, one person should sit in each row, and those who do not follow the rules should be warned.
- During school, the teacher should be informed quickly in case of a sudden illness (fever, runny nose, cough, shortness of breath…).
- It should be explained that they can be protected from all kinds of viruses and microbes as long as they comply with the mask, distance and hand hygiene rules. It should be explained that hands should definitely not touch the mouth, face, nose and eyes, since Coronavirus is mostly transmitted by hands.
- Teachers and parents should be told that this epidemic will end sooner, that they should not turn it into a phobia, and that it is enough for them to follow the precautions.