The Turkish and Islamic Arts Museum is the first Turkish museum in the Fatih district of Istanbul, encompassing Turkish and Islamic art works.
Establishment works that started at the end of the 19th century were completed in 1913 and the museum was visited in 1914 in the imaret building located in the Süleymaniye Mosque complex, one of the most important structures of Mimar Sinan, under the name of the "Evkaf-ı Islamiye Museum" (Museum of Islamic Foundations). has been opened. It took its current name after the proclamation of the Republic. The museum, which was located in the imaret building in the Süleymaniye Complex for a long time, was moved to the İbrahim Pasha Palace (1983th century) located in the west of Sultanahmet Square in 16.
İbrahim Pasha Palace is the only private palace that has survived until today, apart from the sultan's palaces. The structure raised on arches surrounds the terrace in the middle on three sides. The first part of the museum is reached by stairs from the terrace. Rare works of art produced in different countries of the Islamic world are exhibited in the rooms and halls. Stone and terracotta, metal and ceramic objects, woodwork, glassware, manuscripts are the most precious examples of their eras. Masterpieces of handcrafted Turkish carpets of the 13-20 centuries are exhibited in the large glass-enclosed section where there are large halls. The 13th century Seljuk carpets and other pieces belonging to the next centuries are carefully exhibited. The ground floor of the carpet section is the ethnographic section where Turkish daily life and works of the last few centuries are exhibited.