Gülriz Sururi Cezzar (Born July 24, 1929 - Date of death December 31, 2018), Turkish theater actor, writer.
In 1962, he founded the Gülriz Sururi - Engin Cezzar Theater with Engin Cezzar; The Sidewalk Sparrow is known for its roles in the games of Keşanlı Ali Epic. In 1998, he was awarded the title of state artist awarded by the Ministry of Culture. He has books published in memoirs, novels and stories.
Sultan II. Abdülhamid arrested that they believed that they were responsible for the death of his uncle Abdülaziz and brought him before a private court gathered in a big tent he had set up in Yıldız Palace. Ali Sururi Efendi, the senior criminal judge who chaired this Court, was the father of Gülriz Sururi's Grandfather. Nazif Sururi Bey, who was the president of Şûrâ-yı President, was his grandfather. His father is Lûtfullah Sururi Bey, one of the first founders of operetta, and his mother is opera singer Suzan Lütfullah.
He was born in Istanbul in 1929. For the first time, he appeared on stage in the Istanbul City Theater Children's Department in 1942. He studied in the Istanbul Municipality Conservatory Theater and Voice Departments. He started working in some private communities before he could finish the conservatory. He started his professional art career in 1955 in Muammer Karaca Group. He moved to Dormen Theater in 1960. In 1961, she won the Gift of İlhan İskender as the best actress with her role in Street Girl Irma, staged in this ensemble.
In 1962 he married the actor Engin Cezzar. In the same year, he founded Gülriz Sururi - Engin Cezzar Theater with his wife at Bilrikte Küçük Sahne. She played in many plays such as Street Girl Irma, Ferhat and Şirin, Teneke. In 1966, İlhan İskender won the Best Actress Gift once again with her role in the play "Teneke". In the same year, she was selected as the “Woman of the Year” by the Turkish Women's Association. He gained a reputation for his success in the role of "Zilha" in the "Kesanlı Ali Epic", written by Haldun Taner, directed by Genco Erkal and first staged on March 31, 1964 and played for a long time at the closed box office.
In 1971, she won the Best Actress Award for the third time for her role in the game Indian Cloth. In 1979-1980, together with Mehmet Akan, he made a compilation called "Uzun İnce Bir Yol", one of the plays that the group has staged up to that point, and played in its performance.
From Edith Piaf's life story, she showed her mastery as a musical theater artist with the play called Sidewalk Sparrow, played by Başar Sabuncu. In the 1982-1983 season, Avni Dilligil won the Best Actress Award, the Izmir Journalists Association's Altan Artemis Award and the Milliyet newspaper's 1983 Superstar Theater Actor Award. He acted in plays such as “Filumen, Edward Albee's“ Sweet Money ”(original name: Everything in the Garden) adapted and directed by Engin Cezzar,“ Halide ”written by Bilgesu Erenus and staged by Rutkay Aziz.
Sururi, who played a role in all kinds of works from drama to laugh and musical play, also worked as an executive in Turkish theater.
He started writing by writing his memories, and he published my memories in three volumes and also published a novel, a story book, and a compilation of newspaper articles.
In the 1990s, he presented the food program “A La Luna” for television.
In 1998 he received the title of state artist awarded by the Ministry of Culture.
In 1999, he said goodbye to the scenes after his play "I Have What To Say".
He put the play "We Started from scratch", which he wrote and directed in 2008, with the community named Konçinalar Kumpanyası, which was established by the students of Marmara University Faculty of Fine Arts. The actor died on December 31, 2018, at the age of 89 in Istanbul. Her body was buried quietly in Çatalca with a simple ceremony next to her husband Engin Cezzar.
Some theater plays
- I have something to say: Gülriz Sururi - Gülriz Sururi-Engin Cezzar Theater - 1997
- Sidewalk Sparrow: Başar Sabuncu - Voice Theater - 1983
- Cabaret: Joe Masteroff - Gülriz Sururi Engin Cezzar Theater
- Kesanlı Ali Epic: Haldun Taner - Gülriz Sururi Engin Cezzar Theater - 1963
- Street Girl Irma: Alexandre Breffort \ Marguerite Monnot - Dormen Theater - 1961
- Pseudo Angels: Dormen Theater - 1959
Theater plays he directed
- Kısmet: Adana State Theater
- Phosphorous Cevriye (musical): Ankara State Theater
- We Started From Scratch: The Conchina Company
Theater plays he wrote
- Kından İnce Kılıçtan Keskince (memory), Doğan Kitap, İstanbul, 1978
- We Women (trial), Dışbank Publications, Istanbul, 1987.
- A Moment Income (moment), Doğan Kitap, Istanbul 2003.
- On the Streets I Don't Enter (story), Doğan Kitap, Istanbul, 2003.
- From the Cuisine of Gülriz (meal), Doğan Kitap, Istanbul, 2003.
- I Love You (novel), Doğan Kitap, İstanbul, 2004.
- 1961 Best Actress, İlhan İskender's Gift for her role in Sokak Kızı İrma
- 1962 Best Actress, İlhan İskender's Gift, with her role in Teneke
- 1971 Best Actress, İlhan İskender's Gift, with her role in Indian Fabric
- 1983 Avni Dilligil Best Actress Award for her role in Pavement Sparrow
- 1983 Izmir Journalists Association Altan Artemis Award '
- 1983 Milliyet newspaper Superstar Theater Actor Award
- 22. Sadri Alışık Theater and Cinema Actors Awards Honorary Award