Kadri Samsunlu, General Manager of iGA, operator of Istanbul Airport, said that they hosted 64 million passengers at the airport, which started operating at full capacity a year ago, and that they planned to commission the third runway on 3 June.
In the written evaluation made by Istanbul Airport, which started operating at full capacity on April 6 last year, Samsunlu said, “From April 6, 2019 to March 31, 2020, 64 million passengers and 74 airline companies at Istanbul Airport in a period of approximately one year. we hosted. In addition to the loss due to the 737 Max type of aircraft being on the ground, the days of non-flight during the relocation last year and the transition to a gradual full capacity operation until April 22 also prevented this number of passengers from going higher today. ”
“The capacity loss caused by such situations we experienced in 2019 also increased the epidemic of corona virus, which emerged in Wuhan, China since January 2020. The rapid progression of this epidemic caused a serious decline in the aviation industry. ”
Samsunlu, however, stating that they are preparing to commission the 3rd runway at the airport, said, “Currently, our 3rd runway work is ongoing. We are planning to put this new track into operation on June 18, which will provide significant operational advantages. The wind roses around Istanbul Airport will be moved and removed before the end of this year and the construction of additional buildings will be completed. ”
Samsunlu also said that during the first year of operation, an additional payment of 233.1 million euros was made to the state by IGA as a result of exceeding 22.4 million euro international passenger income guaranteed by DHMI.