Saudi Arabia to start new Riyadh metro project
Riyadh metro projectÂ – Saudi Arabia on Tuesday launched a tender process to build a new metro system in the capital of Riyadh in an effort to ease congestion on the city’s gridlocked roads.
The Arriyadh Development Authority (ADA) invited international consortia to prequalify for the project, which it wants to be finished in four years.
“ADA invites global consortia specialised in the production and supply of rolling stock, control and telecommunications systems as well as metro tunnelling, civil, mechanical and electrical works to prequalify for Riyadh metro project,” it said in a statement.
Metro projects typically cost billions of dollars to build.
The prequalification notice came with a June 20 deadline.
In April, the Saudi Cabinet approved plans to develop a new public transport network in the city within four years that would include both a metro and a new fleet of buses.
The project will be overseen by a committee headed by Prince Sattam, who was appointed Riyadh Governor in November and is chairman of ADA, and also including the finance and transport ministers.
About four-fifths of the network would be underground, including a line running under al-Olaya Street, al-Watan daily wrote on Tuesday quoting “informed sources”.
Riyadh metro project at Saudi Arabia has only limited public transport facilities and Riyadh suffers grinding congestion for much of the day and into late evenings.
In December the government announced a 690 billion riyal ($184 billion) budget for 2012, as it seeks to boost infrastructure, education and health.
Similar Railway & Urban Transport News
- Metro project to bring Riyadh on par with worldâ€™s great cities Metro project to bring Riyadh on par with worldâ€™s great cities :The $22.5 billion metro project â€” called King Abdulaziz Project for Riyadh Public Transport â€” is a linchpin of the Saudi capitalâ€™s modernization program. It will be the backbone of the Saudi capitalâ€™s public transport system and a key component of growth. â€śThe project will redefine the concept of public transportation, […]
- Saudi Arabia awards $22.5bn Riyadh metro contracts (Video – Photo Gallery) Saudi Arabia awards $22.5bn Riyadh metro contracts :Saudi Arabia has awarded three foreign-led consortiums contracts worth $22.5bn to build a metro system in Riyadh, said to be the worldâ€™s largest. The vast contract award comes as part of the oil-rich kingdomâ€™s infrastructure drive as the government seeks to blunt rising domestic dissent after the tumult of the Arab spring. King […]
- ADA lists Riyadh Metro benefits for residents ADA lists Riyadh Metro benefits for residents :The Arriyadh Development Authority (ADA) unveiled a host of new benefits of the Riyadh metro to the capital cityâ€™s residents, in addition to what had earlier been announced. â€śThere are 5.7 million residents in Riyadh,â€ť an ADA spokesman said. â€śThis population is expected to reach 8.3 million by 2030.â€ť He said that the project will […]
- Riyadh residents upbeat about transport projects Riyadh residents upbeat about transport projects :Riyadhâ€™s residents have been complaining about heavy traffic during peak hours, but many are upbeat about the prospect of good results once major road projects are completed. â€śTraffic snarls and missed appointments are normal due to road construction projects, but the benefits will far outweigh the inconveniences once these are […]
- Riyadh Metro station designs revealed Riyadh Metro station designs revealedÂ : The Arriyadh Development Authority (ADA) has selected the winning designs for Riyadh Metroâ€™s three main stations. These iconic stations will transform Riyadh streets as they become the most visible elements of the cityâ€™s new world-class public transport system. By providing tranquil oases for travel, shopping and dining, these stations will […]
Last updated by admin - .
- Riyadh Metro Project Saudi Arabia (Video)
- Transport project to link Riyadh university campuses
- Saudi Arabia has trusted their railway system to Siemens…
- Driverless Riyadh metro to ease traffic congestion
- Zaha Hadid appointed to Riyadh metro station
- Metro project to bring Riyadh on par with worldâ€™s great…
- Riyadh metro to have unified design and color-coded lines
- Saudi Arabia shortlists four consortia for Riyadh monorail…
- Alstom awarded a turnkey metro project by the city of Riyadh
- Riyadh metro work officially begins with groundbreaking…